ink that works on cd-r's?

floppsybunny

i'm going to be burning on blank data cd-r's a 7-song e.p. and would like to stamp a logo on the disc face but i'm wondering if anybody knows what kind or if i need a special kind of ink that will take. what kind of ink do they use to silk-screen discs? or is this not a problem?

thanks!

I've got an Epson printer that prints directly on to CDs. You have to use inkjet printable CDs. Those CDs would take the ink from your stamp, I'm sure, but if you get one of those Epson printers, you can do full blown artwork on your CDs. A light coat of clear spray paint protects the non-waterproof ink.

------------ These really work great to make printed CDs/DVDs: ---------------------------------

Taiyo Yuden Inkjet-printable CDs - 30cents each
http://www.supermediastore.com/taiyo-yuden-cd-r-media-cdr-media.html

Taiyo Yuden Inkjet-printable DVDs - 35cents each
http://www.supermediastore.com/taiyo-yuden-white-inkjet-printable-8x-dvd-r-media.html

Epson R200 inkjet printer (prints on CDs/DVDs) <$100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16828103160
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...7485-1526423?_encoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=172282

3-party ink cartridges are far less than HALF the Epson brands and work great.
www.ink4art.com or www.supermediastore.com has great prices.

I picked up an R220 a couple weeks ago. I'm not too keen on the photopaper images I'm getting ( I might just need differant paper ) But I am blown away at how good the printed CD's look.

90 bucks CDN, how can you lose?

thanks guys but i am not really interested in spending $.30 a disc to get inkjet printable cd's, i've got just blank data cd's to work with. any suggestions??? there must be ink that will take because i can write on them with permanent marker. can i just use ordinary black stamp/pen ink and let it dry?

acrylic ink will work just fine, you almost have to actually try hard to get a kind of ink/paint that will deteriorate cds.

floppsybunny said:
thanks guys but i am not really interested in spending $.30 a disc to get inkjet printable cd's

You can get the disks MUCH cheaper than that. I got a spindle of the silver Verbatim printable CDs just last week for $9.99. The clear paint suggestion is GREAT! I had been wondering if there was something I could use.

You can get the Epson printer for $100 or even less. The Epson rep I talked to explained that the only difference between all of their CD printing models, is the added features. All of the print heads are the same, therefore the printing quality is as good in the cheaper models as it is on the more expensive model.

Also, there is a pretty big difference between the silver "textured" printable CDs, and the glossy white-faced CDs. From my experience, with the same Epson printer mentioned above, the silver CDs will give you more of a shimmer, don't look as "homemade" as the white faced ones, and the ink doesn't smear as easily after a day or 2 as it does with the white ones.

whats up i will pay anybody who will print on cds for me i will provide the image and the cds just tell me how much you would like.

djsharkbite said:
whats up i will pay anybody who will print on cds for me i will provide the image and the cds just tell me how much you would like.

How many? I've got blanks with white surfaces that were about fifty cents, ink will probably run another twenty-five, and maybe my time is worth twenty-five cents plus a setup of five bucks plus shipping to you...

¡right - acrylic ink! bueno. (i was stuck in the office supply sphere when i should have looked to the world of art supplies).

does anyone know any good techniques for spraying a clear paint (or -sigh- hairspray) on disc faces that avoids getting any paint (or hairspray) on the write (wrong) side of the disc?

floppsybunny said:
does anyone know any good techniques for spraying a clear paint (or -sigh- hairspray) on disc faces that avoids getting any paint (or hairspray) on the write (wrong) side of the disc?

Lay it face down on a piece of cardboard that you don't mind getting paint on.

if you are spraypainting cds, make a couple squares of painters tape and stick them on the bottom of the cd, that way nothing will get under. its so much more efficient than just laying it down on a flat surface, plus you won't scratch it picking it back up

Back