info on virtual software synths...

henry_mullis

Hey,
I am pretty new to the world of MIDI and synths. I heard some keyboard sounds on an album that I liked a lot. I got a chance to talk with the engineer that recorded the album and I asked him how he did the keyboards. He said he used a virtual synth plugin...My question is where can I find a virtual synth plugin? I use Cool Edit Pro 2.0 and it supports Direct-x plugins. Any info would be appreciated... Thanks

Henry

you're not going to have much fun playing virtual synths on cool edit.. that's a wave editor, not a sequencer... you're gonna need something like cubase for that...

Chriss said:
you're not going to have much fun playing virtual synths on cool edit.. that's a wave editor, not a sequencer... you're gonna need something like cubase for that...

Very true.

You'll need a Software sequencer for Soft Synths. The bare minimum would be Fruityloops and it's step recorder, as you can still use the Piano Roll function. I would recomend ACID 4.0 if you don't have the budget for Cubase.

You can do it all with freebies. Computer Muzys is a sequencer that comes in the freebies CD with Computer Music magazine (a UK production, but available in the states - I used to buy it at Border's before I subscribed). Good VSTi support. Plenty of freeware VSTi's out there, too: Computer Music's CM-101 (synth), SR-202 (drum machine), and DS-404 (sampler) all come on the same disk, as do synths Greenoak Crystal and GakStoar Alpha. Also included is shareware SynthEdit ($20 to register), a modular synth that lets you build and distribute your own VSTis. Other freebies on the web include mda's piano, electric piano, and vocoder, BigTickAudio's Ticky Clav, and a very cool Tibetan Chant VSTi, complete with animated virtual monk (the name's escaping me right now...).

Acid Pro is pretty cool, and I appreciate the added VSTi support that came with 4.0, but it's not a very good interface, nor is it particularly stable - my Steinberg Model-E blows up in Acid, for example.

Computer Music has some great tutorials, too.

Daf

Back