Inexpensive ribbon mic for this situation?

riffy

I just got done doing some tracking for two girls doing a duet type broadway style tune using the same mic and discovered that the one girl just sounded sonically better than the other. I was a using a Rode K2 midway between cardioid and omni working fairly close (8"-10") going to Onyx preamp then to an Art Pro VLA lightly.

The one one girl has a bit of a raspy lower voice and slightly sibilant that came out noticably better than the the other girl who has a higher, less full bodied voice. It's not bad, just not as good. Since I have been wanting to try out one of these new inexpensive ribbons, I was wondering if they would help the one girls voice out.

ShinyBox 46L
Nady RSM-2
CAD Trion 7000

But really even they don't fit this bill, I'm going to have one of these :D

riffy said:
The one one girl has a bit of a raspy lower voice and slightly sibilant that came out noticably better than the the other girl who has a higher, less full bodied voice. It's not bad, just not as good. Since I have been wanting to try out one of these new inexpensive ribbons, I was wondering if they would help the one girls voice out.

ShinyBox 46L
Nady RSM-2
CAD Trion 7000

Go with the 46L. The Lundahl transformer is a lot nicer than the crappy transformer that comes in the RSM-2. Well... the RSM-2 transformer is highly variable. I have one that sounds almost indistinguishable from the Lundahl and one that doesn't sound nearly as good. (I hacked both of my RSM-2 mics with Lundahl transformers and a switch to reenable the original transformer just for grins.)

Interesting this Cascade Fat Head ribbon. Never heard of them until now. Those samples on their site sound pretty nice too. Just what I needed another choice. If appearances were everything, the Fathead would win - that thing looked killer.

riffy said:
Interesting this Cascade Fat Head ribbon. Never heard of them until now. Those samples on their site sound pretty nice too. Just what I needed another choice. If appearances were everything, the Fathead would win - that thing looked killer.

well, i have a really picky ear, and the material I record calls for a pristine signal path..(all high resolution classical/acoustic ) the fathead is no joke.

you will not be dissapointed.

my understanding is that a good deal of the electrical components/circuitry in the fathead are upgraded over that of the nady version in addition to the transformer

Ironklad Audio said:
my understanding is that a good deal of the electrical components/circuitry in the fathead are upgraded over that of the nady version in addition to the transformer

Components/circuitry in a (non-active) ribbon mic pretty much means three things: a ribbon, wires, and a transformer.... There's not anything else to upgrade....

dgatwood said:
Components/circuitry in a (non-active) ribbon mic pretty much means three things: a ribbon, wires, and a transformer.... There's not anything else to upgrade....

. . .so there's one of the differences (ribbon) between the Cascade (2.5 micron) and the Nady (6 micron) mics.

Paj
8^)

Back