Inexpensive Pre for a Fender Rhodes Stage 1

randomtransient

I've been reading around the web and not found a good answer for this: has anyone used an inexpensive mic pre for a Fender Rhodes Stage 1? I am looking specifically at the Art MP, Art studio MP V3, and DBX mini pre. Are there others I should consider in the sub-$100 range? Something vintage to match the aesthetic of the Rhodes would be nice!

What am I using it for? Home studio sketches. It's going to go into my Tascam M-216 and hopefully achieve a line level (and noise level) on par with my vintage synths.

Thanks,
Matt in Oakland Ca

A M-Audio DMP3 might also do the trick. I think they are no longer made, but you might find one as clearance stock, or second hand. These are very clean and quiet.

Paul

I tend to think of the Fender Rhodes as very much like a (very heavy) electric guitar with keys. The pickups are very much the same thing, and I would look to treat it the same way. There are a bunch of stompboxes boosters which will get you to a healthy line level, and many are pretty cheap. Heck, you could build a JFET booster for about three dollars!

Back