Inexpensive mic closest to U87

mandocaster

non compos mentis
I know the U87 is much maligned, and that many Chinese mics have capsules that are similar. Which do you thing sounds the closest, say in the sub $500 range?

A karaoke mic processed with the "Neumann U87" preset of the antares mic modeller. :D

(apologies of you're after serious responses)

Check out the ADK Vienna. The Hamburge is a bit darket like a U47. The Vienna has a clearer top end. Check out MacMidi. They have great prices on ADK Mics and others as well. ADK Vienna Here's a review of both the Hamburg and Vienna Review

How bout just looking at some mics that are in your price range and choosing one that suits your voice? There are a lot of good LDC's out there at or below that price point.

Kevin DeSchwazi said:
A karaoke mic processed with the "Neumann U87" preset of the antares mic modeller. :D

(apologies of you're after serious responses)

Now that's a great answer!!!! :D

A interviewe in Tape Op a while back felt the Rode NT2 was a good stunt double for the 87. I've never used one (just a NTK), but thought I could help. Sorry if I broke the sarcastic answer chain... :rolleyes:

qbert1 said:
A interviewe in Tape Op a while back felt the Rode NT2 was a good stunt double for the 87. I've never used one (just a NTK), but thought I could help. Sorry if I broke the sarcastic answer chain... :rolleyes:

I don't know if it sounds like a U87 but the original NT2 is a nice mic without the usual top-end sizzle a lot of the cheaper condensors seem to exhibit.

Sounds great on my Martin D-35L and D-45L Custom. ;)

For a darker flavor check out the Rode NTV. They went away in 2001 or so but still can be found on ebay. Same edge-terminated capsule as the Classic, and the Jenson transformer in the PS costs more than the cap on the NTK!

adclark said:
Check out the ADK Vienna. The Hamburge is a bit darket like a U47. The Vienna has a clearer top end. Check out MacMidi. They have great prices on ADK Mics and others as well. ADK Vienna Here's a review of both the Hamburg and Vienna Review

Is "darket" a typo? If you mean "'darker' like a U47" than that's just crazy talk. The Neumann-Telefunken U47 longbody tube is crystal clear, way more than any consumer priced mic I've ever heard. Did you mean the U87 as opposed to the U47? Regardless, I still haven't heard a mic that sounds like my U87.

-- Adam Lazlo

Back