Inexpensive Exterior?

framos

From my question, you'll come to the correct conclusion that I'm new at home recording and studio construction. But it's become apparent that if I'm going to continue with my home recording obsession, I'm going to have to construct my own (and hopefully inexpensive) studio.
I live in an area of the country where a 1,100 sq ft. building will cost on the high end of $75 to & $100 a square foot.
Therefore, I've been looking at ways of cutting down the building cost as much as possible without compromising sound quality.
So, does anyone have any tips on cost reduction? Would a concrete exterior structure reduce the cost significantly?
I've looked at modifying garage plans or maybe modifying an existing structure, althought I would prefer to have a building on my property.
What's the cheapest exterior material that any of you have had experience with?
Any thoughts and tips would be greatfully appreciated.

framos

How are you at carpentry?

I'm serious. The cost per sq. ft. you mentioned, is just about the same here in my area. I'm building a 1200 sq. ft. studio and to HAVE it built for me, would have run around $120,000. I was able to significantly reduce that cost by doing a LOT of the construction myself, and acting as the general contractor for hiring contractors to do the things I couldn't.

I expect the total construction costs of the facility itself to come in right at $60,000.

Basically, I'm doing all the framing, insulation, sheathing and drywall, painting, and I'm contracting out the following:

Foundation
Roofing
Brick exterior
Electrical
HVAC
Plumbing

It takes a LOT longer to do it this way; I'm 9 months into construction, and I just now have the exterior completed, and all the interior framing completed. I'm starting HVAC, and electrical rough-in this week, as well as insulation, and some drywall.

I think the attention to detail this sort of scenerio offers and the money you save by doing so, is well worth the extended time period for construction. But its a LOOOOOONG Road!

I had a metal "Butler" building put up. 1200 sq ft. Building was $6500 and slab was $3000. Myself and several friends completed the interior. Hint - Find a local band or bands with carpenters as members. Offer them perpetual recording rights for their labor. That's what I did and saved a bundle. Ok you have to furnish the beer! I live in the country too. It's quite out here so I don't worry about sound getting in or the bass getting out (which it will). Outside you would never know it was a studio and that's what I want. Looks like a shop outside until you walk inside. Nice shock factor. Here's a pic inside when the interior walls started going up. They actually go all the wall to the ceiling.

Damn Don!
You only paid $3000 for the foundation?

I paid $7500 for mine! (1200 sf foundation + 200 sf patio)
Of course, I do have a 42" elevation drop at the rear of the slab, but... day-um!

Now you guys are talking my language (cheapese) ... Butler building, $3,000 slab ... Actually, I had thought of a steel building but I thought everyone on the list would think I was crazy if I mentioned the option.
Please keep me informed as to your progress on your studio. It's the kind of structure I'm looking for. And actually, I do know of some players who are also construction workers.

framos

Hey DD!

The thread you linked to died 2 months ago exactly according to my calendar. So like, anymore progress to report with photos?

MikeA - Damn I knew someone would catch that! I posted some pics after that of the desk in the control room. Just the desk, nothing on it. I've got the equipment (what little bit there is) in the control room now. The rack mount stuff is in a temp roll around rack until I can build racks under the desk wings so it's looking kinda crappy right now.

I hooked up an old scanner on my home computer a few weeks ago and it trashed the drivers, etc for my digital camera. I just haven't gotten around to re-installing it yet. I'm hoping to before this weekend because we're going to a festival in Niceville (Ft Walton) Florida this weekend. It's called the Mullet Festival (lots of seafood of course) and entertainment all day and half the night Saturday. We're going mainly to see Montgomery Gentry. My son had backstage passes to see them about 2 months ago and said they rocked the place. That's who he's "modeling" his band after. Should be fun.

DD

Back