Inexpensive acoustic-electric...

Any suggestions? I'm just starting to get back into acoustic and want something that sounds good (especially in the studio) and plays easily -- all without breaking the bank, of course. ;)

Here are a couple I've been looking at:

http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--TAKJASES31CBK

http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--IBAAEF18

Does anyone own either of these, have an opinion on which is better or have any other suggsetions? I'm looking to spend $300 max and the less expensive the better, obviously.

Let me know your suggestions. Thanks much!

J

Sounds good, plays easily, records well, rugged enough for live use...and...under $300? That's a tough one. You probably won't find all those qualities for that price (particularly the records well one). The regular cast of players would be Takamine, Fender, Yamaha, Washburn. That Ibanez looks cool, too.

The best thing would be to go to a music store and try out everything in your pricerange. Unfortunately, only you can decide what sounds and feels best. Also, the quality difference from one guitar to the next (of the same model) can vary pretty drastically, especially with inexpensive guitars. Try to get one that looks/feels well put together.

Personally, I like some of the budget Fenders, but I don't know about the electronics in the really cheap E/As. Yamaha seems to be a very popular option among posters to this board as well. Those would be the ones I would try out first.

5 years or less ago i got a cheap acoustic for plugging in, the one I had was no pick up. I got a Fender DG20CE, made in Korea. Good finish, ok plugged in sound, ok acoustic sound, plays easily. I doubt I payed more than $350 for it, maybe less, no case. They prolly still have these in stores, look around. Also, it has small fret wires, I don't like jumbos, they hurt. But OTOH, I've worn them down a bit, but OTOOH, it saved wear on my first guitar.

I just looked at those 2 links, look like nice guitars, and amazingly cheap, but you really need to hear them and play them.

If you can file frets, adjust rods, and saddles, set it up yourself, then you might be ok mail ordering. But you have to know if you like the sound acoustically.

Also, I never ever use the pickup for recording, it sucks. most do, any mic is better, even the sm57, if you place it right.....

Thanks for the input. Rugged for live use is not a prerequisite since it'll be used almost exclusively in my studio. Still, I know what you're saying -- that's a lot to ask for under $300.

Any other opinions on the models I'm looking at -- or any other models/brands people can suggest? I live in Iowa, so we don't have many music store options to try stuff out...

J

be sure to look for SOLID spruce top, not just spruce top. check out alvarez. for the price, you can't beat it. ebay has some good deals on the ad60

Thanks, guys. So a 'non-solid' spruce top is not good becaue of tone, falls apart, etc...?

The Carvin looks nice, but is more than I want to spend right now.

And I didn't find any Yamahas on zZounds, but I'll check a couple other sites. Any models in specific?

maryslittlesecret said:
So a 'non-solid' spruce top is not good becaue of tone, falls apart, etc...?

It's a tone thing, but crappy solid tops sound worse than excellent plywood tops.

I vote for finding a used Yamaha and dropping a cheap under saddle in there. There are so many student model yamahas floating around out there that are real players. Most of the FG series will blow away more expesive big named models. If ya arent worried about pedigree, check your classified adds, as there are always tons of people who bought a good acoustic intending to learn, only to have it sit under their bed.

Flamin Lip said:
I vote for finding a used Yamaha and dropping a cheap under saddle in there.

Or consider the Fishman Rare Earth soundhole pup. I have one in my Alvarez and I like it because it lacks the boinginess of piezos.

Get a briarwood (made by peavey). I got a solid ceder top with rosewood body, back, and neck..and a pickup...for $200. A friend of mine has a ceder/rosewood Taylor, that he bought for $1500 used. We sat down and he played his Taylor and I played my briarwood for about 30 minutes. Then he played my briarwood and I played his Taylor for about 30 minutes.
results:
He couldn't believe how well the tone of the briarwood held up against his Taylor. They were pretty close. His taylor had better action...no contest there. But, sound wise they were really close.

Normally on cheap acoustics (like Ibanez) the SOUND is what sucks, when compared to high priced Talors and Martins.

IMO, just the wood in this guitar is worth $200 bucks (solid ceder top and rosewood neck and body). That is where the real value is on a guitar...the tone. I can take that Briarwood guitar to the local luthier (he's real good) and for $200 to $300, he could have the damn thing PLAYING as good as my friends Taylor too.
That would be a $500 investment for a very nice sounding and playing acoustic. what more could you ask for?

The briarwoods action and playability dosent "suck", its just not in the same league with my friend s Taylor (but none of the cheap acoustics are)

for 200 - 300 he can make it play like a taylor????

jeez what is he gonna do to the darn thing???

a setup for playability is making sure the nut slots are the right depth, setting neck relief with the truss rod, and adjusting the bridge.

i can do all that myself but if i took it to a luthier i would expect to pay less than 100 no matter who it is.

if you buy a new guitar from a store they should do that stuff for FREE. they usually have a tech that can do that fairly quickly and easily.

the ams (american musical supply) catalog has had this cheapie acoustic-electric on the back cover for a long time. i dont know if its still there. it looks like a regular dreadnaught acoustic guitar but its way thin!

i gave up on acoustic partly because of the depth of the guitar bodies being uncomfortable and i still salivate when i see that guitar. i think it is a brownsville. its like 130 bucks.

all cheapie guitars need to be set up for playability and its best if you learn to do it yourself. of course then you need to invest in nut files and you have to learn how to adjust truss rods and file bridge bones. its all very simple tho.

apl said:
Does it say "Peavey" on it? I don't know if I could stomach that! :D

Nope...it says Briarwood on the headstock.

We're talking a very elegant guitar here....you wouldn't be dissapointed "looks wise" for sure.

Believe me, im a cheapskate! :D The only reason I have a '66 strat is becuase I get it for 150 bucks.

But I know quality.

I wanted an acoustic...I wanted it to have a pickup...I wanted it to sound fantastic....I wanted it to be a beautiful guitar....I didn't want to spend over $200....oh yeah, I wanted a hardshell case too.

Then I entered the real world:
Cheap ass guitars that play lousy and sound like tin cans cost more than that.

I figured "man, its going to cost me $600 to get something decent"

Only thing is, the guitars in that range don't come close to guitars in the $2000 soundwise...like night and day. .....and I didnt even want to spend $400.

I played so many acoustics that I got sick of trying out acoustics. All the Ibanez stuff (found one Ibanez that sounded real good....the action was way too high and the salesman told me it couldn't be lowed without alot of work...used...price $350 (don't think so)..
Anyway, I called my friend, who works in a music store, (I had already went there and played everything once) I asked him "what is the best guitar I can get ....has to have a pickup.... for 200 bucks?"

He told me "man, we just got the Briarwood line in....im very impressed with them aznd we can do a solid ceder top with a pickup for $239.

I went and played, and was very impressed.
"Throw in a used hardshell case and $250 "out the door"? I asked
"done deal" he said

Im happy

Back