Industrial velcro

ollie99

Hey,
I was thinking of using industrial velcro to hold up some acoustic foam tiles but what my question is what type of mark will the adhesive leave on the wall if I take the velcro off?
Will there be adhesive left on the wall?
Or will there be some of the paint taken off the wall?
Thanks

Don't buy that stuff dude,
It's a rip off!

BA DUM PSSSHHHH.

Seriously though; Yeah, sticky velcro will probably lift paint.
I take it you're renting and can't damage the walls? Unless there's monthly inspections, who cares?
Just put 2 nails (tacks) through each of those panels, and buy a tub of polycell and a some paint to fix her up nice when you're moving out.

Don't buy that stuff dude,
It's a rip off!

BA DUM PSSSHHHH.

Seriously though; Yeah, sticky velcro will probably lift paint.
I take it you're renting and can't damage the walls? Unless there's monthly inspections, who cares?
Just put 2 nails (tacks) through each of those panels, and buy a tub of polycell and a some paint to fix her up nice when you're moving out.

We're not renting my dad would just be really annoyed and wouldn't let me do it in the first place.
The problem with nails is that as well as it sounding like a bit more effort to cover up afterwards, but in the basement where the drums are the walls are next to water pipes so we're always really edgy with putting lots of nails into them.
Do you think nail holes would be easier to cover up than the bit of paint velcro takes off?

Neither would take more than ten minutes to fix up.
How thick/heavy is this stuff you're trying to hang?

If it's that really light, 1" at most, stuff, I'd staple it. ;)

Dood, seriously. 2" finish nails for the corner guys. One in each of the 4 corners. Tack them in at a slight angle for the square ones. Just a small hole to fill later.

Yeah. For those square panels, almost anything will hold them up. The repair work really is wee buns.
I'm never done moving pictures around for my parents. :facepalm:
Gyproc finish/polycell is my friend. Cos you're just dealing with a tiny nail hole you don't need to build and sand. Just fill the hole and paint it five minutes later.

If you're told "NO NAILS!", velcro would probably hold all those things. Again, ten minutes with a bit of sandpaper and a paintbrush and no one will ever know.

Yeah. For those square panels, almost anything will hold them up. The repair work really is wee buns.
I'm never done moving pictures around for my parents. :facepalm:
Gyproc finish/polycell is my friend. Cos you're just dealing with a tiny nail hole you don't need to build and sand. Just fill the hole and paint it five minutes later.

If you're told "NO NAILS!", velcro would probably hold all those things. Again, ten minutes with a bit of sandpaper and a paintbrush and no one will ever know.

I just tried putting staple in the wall in my bedroom and it worked great however the wall in my studio room is a bit harder so made a slightly bigger mark, I would much prefer it to nails though

Dood, seriously. 2" finish nails for the corner guys. One in each of the 4 corners. Tack them in at a slight angle for the square ones. Just a small hole to fill later.

by tack do you mean a pin like this? because that could work rather well actually :)

I used panel pins 1" long in plasterboard and renedered walls. its much easier to fill the holes with filler when you want to remove the nails and simply paint over it.
Any adhesive, spray velcro self adhesive is goint to either remove a lager area of paint/plaster and make more of a mess plus you dont know what deposits the adhesive is going to seep into the plasterwork. Sometimes that seepage is very hard to paint over.
+ nails are cheap and easy to use. You could also consider those little looks used to hang pictures you get from the hardware store, that have hardened nails for rendered plaster areas and a tidy little hook to attach sound treatment panels to.
Good luck.
I'm sure your dad will appreciate the amount of effort and thought you have put into not wanting to damage the property and still being able to attain your goal.
Act like a woman and give him clues so he can work out the best solution to your dilema and make him think he put all the problem solving solutions in place for you. Heck you never know he might even do it for you.
Rich

I used panel pins 1" long in plasterboard and renedered walls. its much easier to fill the holes with filler when you want to remove the nails and simply paint over it.
Any adhesive, spray velcro self adhesive is goint to either remove a lager area of paint/plaster and make more of a mess plus you dont know what deposits the adhesive is going to seep into the plasterwork. Sometimes that seepage is very hard to paint over.
+ nails are cheap and easy to use. You could also consider those little looks used to hang pictures you get from the hardware store, that have hardened nails for rendered plaster areas and a tidy little hook to attach sound treatment panels to.
Good luck.
I'm sure your dad will appreciate the amount of effort and thought you have put into not wanting to damage the property and still being able to attain your goal.
Act like a woman and give him clues so he can work out the best solution to your dilema and make him think he put all the problem solving solutions in place for you. Heck you never know he might even do it for you.
Rich

thanks, pins seem to work quite well. Yeah I'll try and play mind tricks with my dad muahaha :)

btw is your signature a saying or is it from red dwarf?

whatever I do here it won't be for a few more weeks because after speaking to my dad he said that I might as well wait until my brother goes to uni and then I can make his room my studio, which would not only make more sense because it is in the basement and is much more out of the way, but it is also the room where the drums are :)
PLUS when I do get round to putting the foam up, the walls in his room are already ruined with paint coming off everywhere so I won't need to worry so much about that.

Now please go help me out with a pair of condenser microphones in the newbies forum! :D

Nice one, Ollie. I love it when a plan comes together.

I don't know how your budget is but you seem to be buying a number of things.
IF you can push the budget for a pair of sm81s or oktava mk012s, you can consider them a long term investment.
They're nicely in that middle ground.

Not to say co1s or nt5s aren't useful/good mics, but I just think you're less likely to want to upgrade from shures/oktavas.
I don't know anything about those akg 170s though, to be fair.

Nice one, Ollie. I love it when a plan comes together.

I don't know how your budget is but you seem to be buying a number of things.
IF you can push the budget for a pair of sm81s or oktava mk012s, you can consider them a long term investment.
They're nicely in that middle ground.

Not to say co1s or nt5s aren't useful/good mics, but I just think you're less likely to want to upgrade from shures/oktavas.
I don't know anything about those akg 170s though, to be fair.

I don't think I can really push to buy either of those mics, I think I will go for the akg 170's as I explained in the other thread but thanks for the suggestions

It's from Red dwarf.
It was a choice thing either that or something from a month python film and you don't want to get us started on that.

Steeno knows his mics.
Buy what you can afford but take your time. My mate has Samson c1 and really likes them as overheads.
I'm sure that's what you said you wanted them for.

Btw I don't want to upset your apple cart but you might be better of buying some rock silk rather than the foam. There I said it.

It's from Red dwarf.
It was a choice thing either that or something from a month python film and you don't want to get us started on that.

Steeno knows his mics.
Buy what you can afford but take your time. My mate has Samson c1 and really likes them as overheads.
I'm sure that's what you said you wanted them for.

Btw I don't want to upset your apple cart but you might be better of buying some rock silk rather than the foam. There I said it.

I'm not gunna buy yet, I have no reason to buy them right away but for the time being they'll be my first choice.

I've realised that it won't be a while until I build proper panels. There have been at least 3 times in the last year that I have researched into getting the materials to build some but I just haven't got round to it because it is a hassle and my parents will really not be keen on having panels in the way. It is just too much of a job for me at this stage in my life and foam is so much easier to handle and put up and take down and store

Back