Industrial/Pop Song Draft - Feedback Appreciated!

Camazza

Hi guys, I've recorded and mixed a song for a local band. This is one of their "ballads", if you will. It's a nice industrial/rock blend.
It's still very much a draft but it's sounding more and more like the finished product should be. The vocals need some additional processing, but drums/guitars/synth are OK.
I'd like some feedback from you guys, as I need fresh pairs of ears to highlight problems in the mix.

FYI, this is the gear i've used:

MXL 603s - drum overheads
SM57 - snare/guitars and some vocals grit
Electro-Voice ND468 - Kick/guitars
AKG D112 - Floor Tom/Bass
Rode NT2a - Kick/Vocals/Bass

Guitars, Bass, Vocals, Kick and Snare went through a FocusRite ISA 428. The rest through the M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8r internal preamps.
Mixed in the Box on Studio One 3, I used lots of stuff. I'll cite only the plugs I think "made" the song: NLS Buss on pretty much every track. SSLComp, CLA 76 (bluey), MannyM Reverb, Dbx160, Reel ADT. NLS, API2500, LinPhase EQ, Vitamin and L2 on master buss.

Here's the track

The big thing that sticks out to me is the lip smacks on the vocals. It's especially pronounced in the quiet parts, but it's still audible when it gets loud. Maybe try a de-esser?

Otherwise, you've got some cool sounds in here. Good balance of the instruments in general.

It is a good sounding mix, but I feel like you've compressed it too much.

The guitars and drums are sounding great, really well-balanced.

But the vocalist could have performed it better and clearer, so, IDK what you can do to fix that.

Back