Indie Rock/Pop - FFO Weakerthans/Pavement etc... mix advice!

keevhren

Just finished up a first mix (it's unmastered) for a friends band I tracked last weekend and I'm pretty happy with the results but am sure it could be tightened up in a few spots... In the last week I've started referencing mixes on this old boombox I had lying around and feel as though I'm able to better gauge where things should sit by listening between my monitors, the boombox, and headphones. I feel like the kick may be a bit muddy still but I'll need to give my ears a rest overnight and then come back to it tomorrow morning before making a decision with it... I typically do faster punk/hardcore bands which require a bit more clicky kick sound but I like the tone I got for it during this mix for the most part. Anyways, any comments and feedback are always welcome and I appreciate the help!

The overall mix is very quiet. I think I had to turn it up about twice the volume as I usually do. Everything sounded good though. Vocals could come up a little I think.

I think it sounds pretty good keevhren. Kick sounds fine to me. I like the vocal harmonies and think you got those captured just right.

yeah it's definitely a quieter mix... tops out at about the -6 range... i usually have a big problem with not having enough headroom when I'm mixing so everything was tracked at a much quieter volume than I typically do (plus my pres... an Alesis Studio 32 board, tend to not have that much headroom for things like drums etc and there aren't any pads on the board, but overall, it was definitely tracked and then mixed much quieter than I've done in the past)

Thanks for the good feedback thus far!

The waveform does look almost smashed, I think the perceived loudness is lower aka an issue with your frequency balance. Feels like it's lacking a bit of mid-range.

The bass sounds great, but I'm wondering if it's hitting anybody else as a bit loud? But it doesn't really break up when I turn the mix up...just gets a bit boomy. It may be awesome. Maybe I'm just jealous that I don't get that kind of low end, but maybe you should check it super loud and see what you think.

Hi, I listened to the song before reading the comments here and the boominess of the bass was the main improvement I was going to recommend too. It just becomes a little overpowering, particularly in the second half of the song. Other than that, it sounded good to me.

cool song, and voice. I really like the guitar tones. the bass is a bit loud, if you bring it down it'll make room for everything else to come up too.

are you mixing on small speakers (5" or less)? I have some small speakers too, and overwhelming bass is always the issue when I listen on other systems.

Immediately make me think of J Robbins / Burning Airlines, etc. Cool song. I like the mix. No real gripes here.

Updated mixes of all 4 songs... thanks for all the help, I think these have come out pretty well thus far! Any other feedback on these mixes would be greatly appreciated!

Back