In the trenches recording woes

Rudy2

So, now I have a cheap but fancy scmancy MR-8 recorder and I am finding all about how well that works for live, in-the-field, recording. Did you know that after "punching in" with the foot pedal and then "punching out" you have to dash over to the MR-8 and mess with it before you can begin recording again (punching in)??? This is not a good thing as far as I am concerned. What I would like is to have the hands-off ability to start and stop the recording process with a toe-tap while I am on stage. And I do not give a hoot about included digital effects, bouncing ability or any of that stuff. I figure all that can be added in the studio. Why-oh-why doesn't someone sell a rugged digital recorder designed for both live performance and studio use sans all the safeguards, bells and whistles the current digi devices offer for editing? Sometimes more is less. How about just offering plain old tape-machine functionality but use a HD or memory card for data storage instead of magnetic tape and provide computer-download capibility? I would buy one!!

So, in my short study it looks to me like three distinct camps have evolved.

#1 - The old and still active vanguard that ascribes to magnetic tape recording.

#2 - The newer vanguard of manufacturers (and users) who would like you to buy a "studio inna box" that does digital recording and editing all-inclusive.

#3 - The newest(??) vanguard who is promoting the great power and versitility of computer recording.

So where do I fit in?

Nowhere it seems. :(

I don't need all the mind boggling options of a multi-track portable or want the hassle or risk of dragging around a computer to events. I just want to be able to record a digitally accurate copy of a live performance, using state of the art recording media, that I can later download and edit on my computer.

Doesn't anyone cater to this market??? Sheeesh!

Rudy2

youve made a good point rudy. i lamented the same for years.
i guess your just trying to record your sets while on stage - am i correct ?
the problem is....anytime a machine comes into the equation there is the possibility of it crashing just when you dont want it to. and you have to allow for this. in the past big name groups use to "lug around"
multitrack tape machines. maybe someone else knows a perfect solution...
but i havent found one. the only thing i can think of ....but expensive is have two tascam tsr 8 8 track multitracks (one for recording back up)...
and recording your sets to those from the stage. cassette you could use - but not as good specs. but even wityh tsr 8 someone hasc to change the tape on the machines if the set is long.
any solution is not cheap.

Why not get a Alesis HR24 or something like that, and just let it run. Edit the space out after the fact.

Back