In the market for a new mic..

mnordbye

I'm currently in the market for a new mic, to be used to mic guitar cabs. I do have an SM57, but wanna try something new. I'm open for both dynamics and condensers.

I play and record mostly rock and blues, but also some alternative and metal from time to time. I suppose i do record about everything that comes to my mind. :rolleyes: I'm looking in the $100 to $400 range, but open for most things. Very interested in used gear too! Always looking out for bargains.

So, anyone have any recommendations, or maybe some used gear they want to get rid of before christmas? :)

EDIT: Oh, and i'm not gonna use this in a live-on-stage situation, only in the studio.

Last edited:
Never tried a ribbon mic, it looks cheap enough, and i see there's many mods for it around the web. It's supposed to be a Royer look-a-like i guess?

Anyway, open for other mics too!

Most recent addition in my stable is the Blue enCore 200...I bought it on a whim, and turned out really liking it...i use it for guitar cabs, snare, and vocals in the studio, and vocals live...better that my 57, better than the Heil mic in that class

It is sort of a hybrid mic...a dynamic capsule that has a phantom powered transformer which boost high end, sensitivity, and evens the output...its attractive and built like a tank

mic

dont let the price or reviews fool ya, but i recommend trying the Shure PG57. i dont like the Shure SM57, eventhough their great mics, they dont have the right sound for me. i tried the Shure PG57 and i'm in heaven with it. i called Shure and talked to them about this mic, its not cheaper made version of the sm57, its a totally different mic.

give it a try, Shure is a trusted name, and it will give you a different sound, i feel that it gives me a more accurate of my amp. most of the time i dont even EQ the board because its it perfect.

Back