In search of specifics... for setting up (!)

Suntag

Here's my initial setup plans: I own a P2 350Mhz with Soundblaster Live. I also have up to 7000$ coming in to invest in this project. What I'd get (if unswayed by advice):

- Cubase VST
- Microphone: Shure SM-57
- Keyboard: Probably the Korg Triton Pro (It's a big chunk of the budget, but I intend to do shows and piano is my first instrument, so I need more than just a midi-controller)
- CDR (if you have any good brandnames to shoot - many look good, which is best for music?)
- Mixer (don't know what to get - before yesterday, I thought I could just plug in to a better sound-card and be home-free)
- Percussive synthesis (sampler).
- Sound Card - Yamaha DSP Factory

Problem areas:
- Sampler (or sound module). I don't know what to get as percussion paraphenelia. I know the theory behind sampling, but not the first thing about how you'd go about doing it, and sound modules aren't the best, but with Cubase and the keyboard, I figured I might be able to do something interesting... Am I in left field? (Help!)
- Soundcard: I was going to ditch the Soundblaster in favor of the DSP Factory, but would it be better to combo Gina w/ the Soundblaster? Or something else?
- Is there anything missing?

The goal of this studio is to allow me to arrange and produce (without it being a master-track recording) every idea that pops into my head, to eventually find either the musicians (through internet or otherwise - to go live with what I've got) or producers (to redo what was done with the 300,000$ studio) that would be interested in working with me on my musical projects. Also could be used for pitches to advertising firms and various auditions (and contests).
I really appreciate any advice I might get.
-Suntag-

[This message has been edited by Suntag (edited 10-03-1999).]

For drums, I highly recoomend, the Alesis D4, DM5 or DMpro drum module. You can use it as the brains for a midi drum set and also use it with a keyboard and sequencer. I own the D4 and have a website dedicated to it and other drum modules. Check it at http://homepages.go.com/~drumcage - It lists alot of links which will explain the features of the drum modules to you.

Ld

Excellent! That's exactly what I had in mind, rhythm section wise. Thank you, my Lord (your site sold me on the DM5).

As for the rest, reading up on this site is making my eyes sore, but it's also giving my project a direction. This site rules, hats off to Dragon!

Back