In search of a new Vocal mic to complement

MadMax

my SP C1 (bright) and my MXL V93M (same as MXL 2003(?)) and my AKG C-3000. I need a different flavor, maybe something on the dark side. Anybody think a ribbon mic would be an option for Vocals?

my SP C1 (bright) and my MXL V93M (same as MXL 2003(?)) and my AKG C-3000. I need a different flavor, maybe something on the dark side. Anybody think a ribbon mic would be an option for Vocals?

Depends on how much gain your pre can provide.

My stock answer? EV RE-20.

Since price is always a factor, what do you think about the MXL V67? I saw a chart that showed it as dark and colored. And with all the praise it's gotten around here, I'm almost ashamed to NOT have it.

My vote would go to the SM7 if you want something darker, different, and yet still great sounding. My luck with RE20's has been bad. I don't know what it is, but every time I get my hands on one (almost always been vintage) they just sound really dark. Maybe it's that age issue and a newer one would sound better, but the few I've used always sounded like someone stuck an inch of foam in front of the mic.

+1 on an SM7. You already have some condensers which will typically run to the bright side. The SM7 is a great, high quality vocal mic that will sound great on some voices and at least good on everybody else. very usable on lots of other things as well -- cabs, bass, etc.

I'll second the RE20 if nobody else will. I have an SP B1 (even brighter than the C1) and the RE20 is very contrasting.

If I get a really good vocalist through the B1 wanting to do their own backing vox I'll put them through the RE20 for them and the results always sound amazing, It's great on thinner vocals and high SPL vocals, still seems to hold the roundness. It's great on the kick or a bass cab. I've had some fantastic 4 mic drums with an RE20 on kick, 57 on snare and 2 SP B1's as overheads.

Also, just handing it to a singer while you put up the stand can make them grow just holding one...it's a cannon! :D

+1 another for re20

i own and love ribbons but they require alot of clean gain and can be finicky
and a singer must really know what they are doing...popfilter is a must

I had both, and the RE20 is not darker at all. If anything it is too bright and a bit too hot in the upper mids.

The SM7 is much smoother and much more balanced than the RE20, imo. The RE20 has its place for the right singer, but I dont think its dark sounding at all. I ended up keeping the SM7.

I had both, and the RE20 is not darker at all. If anything it is too bright and a bit too hot in the upper mids.

The SM7 is much smoother and much more balanced than the RE20, imo. The RE20 has its place for the right singer, but I dont think its dark sounding at all. I ended up keeping the SM7.

I agree that the RE-20 is not very dark.. It is the most condenser-like of all my dynamics.

Back