In praise of Tascam's cassette multitracks

Hot Rocks

I just did a gig last Sat. that at the time I percieved we totally sucked,and I don't doubt to some/alot of people we probably did.We had all sorts of sound system problems,the audience was less than thrilled with our type of music and so on. All the ingrediants for a "bad head" during the performance. I recorded it on my Tascam 234. Not only did the audio come out great,but it seems to me we were way better than I thought. These machines make these "memories of a lifetime" possible with their low cost and the low cost of cassette tape. I also own a 238,a porta 1 and a 246. They all have specific dutys in my studio. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's "Ga Ga" over these decks, What's your favorite tascam cassette multitrack?

I have a 238 and I got a lot of miles out of it but since I bought the two ADATs and DAWs it doesn't get much use any more.

i'm not "ga-ga!

i'm coo-coo for... no, wait, that's not me. i had a 414 and now am a happy owner of 488 mkII. what a great machine! And yes, they do have a tendency to hide mistakes and make it sound better :)

To this day when I play stuff I did on it for people they freak out when they hear it was done on a cassette multi track.

I bought my 688 in awesome shape for ...get this - $350 shipped. If that's not a steal, I don't know what is.

Isaiah

Hi, all! I have a 488 Mk II and I wouldn't sell it for the world. I tried a digital 8-track first, but I'm glad I went analog instead. That's my 2 cents, for what it's worth!

Chipper

Prism, I thought my mint cond 30 hours of use 234 for 212.00 shipped to me was a steal..YOU WiN HANDS DOWN! Was the seller drunk?

I've had my 238 for 8 years now & it's great!

Does anyone know where I can get parts or an entire track card? One of my tracks is screwed up.

I started on a Porta-0ne and moved up to a 388 (1/4 R to R)
and then finally to a DA-38 with a TM-D1000 mixer.

I like what I am able to capture with my current set up, but I still think my earlier recordings on those older machines are better. Maybe I was just a better musician back then. It is very possible that my suck quotient has risen since then.

Thanks for a good laugh Brad,I wonder about that myself. Peak early and.....There's a place in New Jersey called New Jersey factory service.You can find them on the web.I highly recomend them.Ups your 238 to them.They are the oldest tascam service center on the east coast,They will fix and "tune it up" and they are reasonable

Back