In over my head

littleingot

I just got a DX7 IIFD for the sole purpose of finding nice free (public domain) sounds on the internet, and recording it anologue. If I figure out what I'm doing here, I may start playing with midi, but for now I need to know what I'm doing. Which is nothing. I'm doing nothing.

So, the IIFD has a 3.5 disk drive, but from what I can tell there is a formatting issue between it and my PC. Hard to believe, given they were made twenty years apart. From what I'm been reading I should be able to recieve the sounds (.syx) via midi. My only midi ins are on my Tascam US428 which is mainly a USB I/O (it's got other functionality not pertitnent here). What I'm getting to is really just a basic question about midi setup.

How?

How midi setup?

It's not just in and out anymore. It's on and off, it's thru, it's stuff I never considered. If anyone can help either with basic midi setup or with a way of getting past the formatting issue that would be great. I just want a halfway decent hammond organ sound (if you think the DX7 is no good for that, it's too late. Purchase made, no refunds).

A friend who is a failed producer is lending me his entire Pro Tools setup. A giant rack filled with neat looking things that are sure to confuse the crap out of me. You'll be hearing from me a lot more. For now, just the basic question.

Thanks,
Dave

Back