In over my head

littleingot

I just got a DX7 IIFD for the sole purpose of finding nice free (public domain) sounds on the internet, and recording it anologue. If I figure out what I'm doing here, I may start playing with midi, but for now I need to know what I'm doing. Which is nothing. I'm doing nothing.

So, the IIFD has a 3.5 disk drive, but from what I can tell there is a formatting issue between it and my PC. Hard to believe, given they were made twenty years apart. From what I'm been reading I should be able to recieve the sounds (.syx) via midi. My only midi ins are on my Tascam US428 which is mainly a USB I/O (it's got other functionality not pertitnent here). What I'm getting to is really just a basic question about midi setup.

How?

How midi setup?

It's not just in and out anymore. It's on and off, it's thru, it's stuff I never considered. If anyone can help either with basic midi setup or with a way of getting past the formatting issue that would be great. I just want a halfway decent hammond organ sound (if you think the DX7 is no good for that, it's too late. Purchase made, no refunds).

A friend who is a failed producer is lending me his entire Pro Tools setup. A giant rack filled with neat looking things that are sure to confuse the crap out of me. You'll be hearing from me a lot more. For now, just the basic question.

Thanks,
Dave

Please limit your post to a single forum. You won't get a better or faster answer by posting all over the BBS. 'Cross posting' is frowned upon here and on every other board that I know of...

I posted a question about midi and a specific keyboard in both the midi and the keyboards forum. It made the most sense to me. Granted, they were posted more than once, but I believe I addressed that. I'm sorry if cross posting is frowned upon, and it won't happen again, but while you're frowning, if you find a way to help me with this, I'd love it.

Thanks,
Dave

Since you asked so nicely and promised not to repeat your faux paux...

I read your replies on the other forum, and Tim is right when he refers you to a book about midi. You need to read up with a keyboard in front of you so that you can try various things. Midi is a very simple thing once you understand the basics, like that it's a control language/protocol that carries no audio signal.

Now to solve the problem at hand. First of all download a free program called MIDIox here:

http://www.midiox.com/

Then go out on the net and look for free patches in .syx format. This format can be transferred over the midi wire, so compatability of disk formats does not matter. Once you get the patches into the computer use MidiOx to load them into the synth, then save them to disk.

Thank you.

Midi ox works. The patches are transferring. Fantastic.
A new issue is sure to come up in the next few minutes, but for the time being, thank you very very much.

Dave

Back