In or Out...Hot or Not...

PYRRHO

Okay guys...
I'm new to digital recording.
Where's the technology going? What's obsolete now? What's the latest way to go? USB...firewire...ADAT...compactflash...I'm so confused.

Right now, I have a butt-load of mics and an analog mixer. My next step was going to be a self-contained recorder like the Fostex VF160EX or Tascam's DP-01FX/CD. I like the idea of being able to walk away with a complete CD. Now...since I've scored an IBM ThinkPad(which could be dedicated to recording), I'm wordering if I shouldn't look more into FireWire stuff.

While I'm not interested in being on the absolute cutting-edge, I need to know my gear will still be compatible with current technology is say...7 years.

Last edited:
They will be compatible in a manner...but might not meet the average standards in 7 years though. technology is always striving. there's no end to it.

Right, I understand...that's the point of my post. What I'm saying...is I'm sooooooo ignorant and out-of-touch regarding current technology, that I have noooooo idea what's considered a dying horse...what's fresh but bug-laden...what lies on what end of the technological bell-curve.

Back