In need of a sense of direction...

thememuzik

Ok. I am a college student in Maryland who is trying to start a Hip Hop production company. I produce and also rap. I have already begun the legal process of establishing my company as an LLC. I have 2 emcees in New Jersey, and 3 in Maryland. I plan to move to Philly in the spring to attend college at Temple.

Now... right now, me and the artists in Maryland are putting together a promo cd so that we can get some radio play and street buzz. We need artwork for our cd, and a company logo.

I need some direction here. Can someone help me out with a guideline on how to promote our music, protect it, publish and collect royalites, everything... All this school and work stress is messing up my head and I can't think straight about this music/business. Can someone help me?

peace
thememuzik@yahoo.com

Street buzz is a million times more important that radio and it costs a million times less. In time, as long as you are able to get distribution in place, it will allow you to get the radio play you are seeking.

As far as protection online, from Naspter type services, don't worry about it. At this point, it will be a lot worse is somebody doesn't hear your music than if they hear it for free. Remember...street buzz.

Regarding artwork, check around your school for some guys who will work for little of no money. Lots of hip hop guys blow their wad on Pen and Pixel stuff and that it just overkill. The $4000 you spend for something from them will get you a lot of street promotion.

dave @ kathode ray music

Back