In Apple's infinite wisdom...

elevate

I admit to bashing Apple a bit from time to time, but I thought some might find this interesting. I saw on a computer forum today that Apple is removing all VST support from their version of Logic and replacing it with their own proprietary plugin. Wonders never cease.

ahh, you mean the new audiounits........ which on paper is superior to VST, hopefully major plug-in makers will follow though with this new standard. for OS X, VST plug-ins have to be recompiled to work anyways so why not go this route to a new superior standard which current plug-ins, can also be recompiled to.

do a google search for "apple audio units vst"

On what paper is it supposed to be superior? I can't find any technical documentation on these at all.

Yeah... Brand Loyalty!!

djc said:
So what. Screw Apple.

Man... You harbor anger towards a corporate entity. Very aware of you.

Audio Units will be great for mac users. So some folks will lose the ability to use some esoteric plugs which they may like. Most will experience better performance. It's impossible to support all standards all the time.

Now that sounds like an apologist.

How is it impossible to exclude funtionality that was already there?

Just like everything else, AudioUnits is a way for Apple to make more money and make life harder on anyone who's not 1000% brand loyal.

As far as I'm concerned, with their latest rash of acquisitions and the recent decisions they've made on software/OS pricing, services, and supprot for standards, Apple is the new Microsoft.

You heard it here first, and I can absolutely guarantee that many more Mac users like myself will say it more and more often as time goes on.

It seems like Steinberg and Digidesign are in a position to push Apple out of the prosumer market, or at least severely marginalize them. Though, it looks like Steinberg has at least vocally committed to AU, so who knows.

Back