Improvised Acoustic Material??

Anomaly Design

Simple question... What happens if I take this 12ft. x 10ft. carpet insulation (1/2" thick) rolled it up and put it against the base of the wall of my studio? Theoretically, how would this compare to say..., a 2'x4'x6" panel of Owens Corning 703? Please assume I will keep the roll very loose, possibly with air gaps in between a few layers, plus the center gap of course. Will this work?

Thats one of three options...Lay the roll on the ground against the wall, stand it up in just one corner, or cut it in half and make to rolls for 2 corners. What should THEORETICALLY allow the most bass aborbancy?

it's useless, pretty much.
that closed cell, very heavy foam you're talking about will not really do anything. There is no comparison to the rigid fiberglass product; it not even
apples & oranges, more like apples & goldfish.
cheers
C.

Its not foam actually. Its some kind of condensed fabric and extremely heavy. It does an okay job cutting highs and mids so I was thinknig if it were all bunched up it could do even better to control bass. The roll itself weighs about 50lbs. Are you saying this material is just going to reflect? It would save me a few bucks if it did anything beneficial.

if it's not the foam stuff (only sort of carpet padding I am familiar with)
then yeah it can kill off some highs, but I still doubt it would do anything for bass. got a picture of it?
C>

Just did some research, the material is felt. Its got 'wool-like' properties as studiomaster described. Sorry no picture, I'm at work! :D

In what way will this material be most effective?

i'd build some membrane bass traps and use several layers of it inside each one.
be my best shot.
barring that maybe cover the entire rear wall of the room with a couple of layers of it, hanging from the ceiling - jsut to kill that end of the room.
C.

chugheshc said:
i'd build some membrane bass traps and use several layers of it inside each one.
be my best shot.
barring that maybe cover the entire rear wall of the room with a couple of layers of it, hanging from the ceiling - jsut to kill that end of the room.
C.

What material(s) do you need to hang the carpet from the ceiling?

I asked the same question (carpet rolls), but I can only attempt to parrot the answer I was given~
As has been said here, it will absorb some highs, but leave the low freq unaffected which can skew your perception of the overall sound.

Paraphrased from memory, but you get the gist.
Here are some links....
Check these forums out....

http://forum.studiotips.com/viewtopic.php?t=147

http://www.johnlsayers.com/

Damnit, I don't have Ethans' site bookmarked.
What happened?

Anybody have a link to Ethans site?

Didn't even occur to me!

I'd prefer this would be a bass trap of some sort. I'm looking into how to build the membrane traps now... if someone has a link it would be appreciated. I would like to put them in the two corners of the 'recording' side of the room. Is this my best bet?

I'd work on deadening the wall behind the mix desk, imho.
build some proper bass traps with some other material, but if you have
no treatment at all on the wall behind the mix position you will probably have
a lot of trouble mixing.
I'd hang it like a curtain, say take 2 2X2s' and screw them together with
your feltish stuff inbetween, then screw the wood into the ceiling.
3 of these, butted up to each other, so you have three thickness
of cloth and 2 air spaces, should kill lots of reflections off the wall behind
the mix position.
ymmv
C>

So your saying it has more potential for improving acoustics on mixing than tracking? My major problem is the acoustics during tracking. However, if that is the case then I'll definitely try that layering idea. Also, I have a drop ceiling so I can't screw anything into it, any other solutions?

Can I expect more diffusion if I ruffled the outside layer?

bingo, imho this is more useful for working on the tracking aspect, although
you will also notice the results also during tracking.
Ruffling the surface will make no discernible difference.
I have not read of anything like this being used in bass traps.
best of luck.
C>

Back