Improving vocal sound for $500-ish

richardmac

Here's the situation. I have a Rode NT1-A. Through my Yamaha mixing board, it sounds a bit harsh and lacks warmth. It sounds much better through an $800 preamp, which I don't have.

For around $500-$600, what is the best solution?
A. Buy a better mic and put the Rode in the drawer
B. Buy a preamp and plug the Rode into it

There seem to be some mics out there (AKG C214, AKG C3000B, Rode NTK, and a few more) that definitely sound better than the NT1-A. I'm leaning in that direction. Years ago I sang through an AKG 414 and I loved it, but I am told there are many different types of 414's and I'm not sure which one it was. Any thoughts?

proper gain staging, proper vocal booth, and read on how to use your plugins correctly, your setup is nice, keep saving...

The microphone is way more important than the preamp. The microphone, a device that transforms acoustical energy into electrical energy, introduces ten times as much amplitude variation to the source material than even the cheapest preamplifer.

My advice is to search for a microphone that is going to give you the sound you want to hear. Based on what you've got, I'd say you (and many other people) would be more happy with a K47-type capsule mic rather than the common K67-type capsule mic driving a flat response circuit.

Last edited:
Here's the situation. I have a Rode NT1-A. Through my Yamaha mixing board, it sounds a bit harsh and lacks warmth. It sounds much better through an $800 preamp, which I don't have.

For around $500-$600, what is the best solution?
A. Buy a better mic and put the Rode in the drawer
B. Buy a preamp and plug the Rode into it

There seem to be some mics out there (AKG C214, AKG C3000B, Rode NTK, and a few more) that definitely sound better than the NT1-A. I'm leaning in that direction. Years ago I sang through an AKG 414 and I loved it, but I am told there are many different types of 414's and I'm not sure which one it was. Any thoughts?

Yes the C414 has a few different models with one being good for vocals...you might have heard some of the 70s Journey sang through one...look for the shiny gold mesh to know you are buying the right one used.

Id suggest maybe an AT40 series or a Shure KSM series...If you want the very best at that price point.
Avoid any preamps with a tube that doesnt have the correct level of voltage to bias it...that is something you will not get from a unit with a DC adapter.

Yes the C414 has a few different models with one being good for vocals...you might have heard some of the 70s Journey sang through one...look for the shiny gold mesh to know you are buying the right one used.

Id suggest maybe an AT40 series or a Shure KSM series...If you want the very best at that price point.
Avoid any preamps with a tube that doesnt have the correct level of voltage to bias it...that is something you will not get from a unit with a DC adapter.

WOW! I remember that the one I sang into had gold mesh. I'd totally forgotten until you just brought it up. Maybe I just need to keep saving and try to find one of those used, then... I really liked it.

WOW! I remember that the one I sang into had gold mesh. I'd totally forgotten until you just brought it up. Maybe I just need to keep saving and try to find one of those used, then... I really liked it.

Ive had one before...and in my opinion it wasnt as good as my AT4047 or my KSM44....I sold it after buying the KSM44...but I made a profit so I came out very good on the C414...I ve normally seen them go used at arround $400...but Im very good at beating a low price out of people So I bought mine for $300.

The microphone is way more important than the preamp. The microphone, a device that transforms acoustical energy into electrical energy, introduces ten times as much amplitude variation to the source material than even the cheapest preamplifer.

My advice is to search for a microphone that is going to give you the sound you want to hear. Based on what you've got, I'd say you (and many other people) would be more happy with a K47-type capsule mic rather than the common K67-type capsule mic driving a flat response circuit.

Seconded....

OK... If I'm going to be happy with a K-47 type capsule mic... then... what would some be? Am I correct, Michael, in assuming that you only modify other mics, and don't sell actual whole mics? In other words, I'd have to buy a certain type of mic, then send it to you and you'd swap the capsule? And if so, what would be a good mic to buy to do the swap? Or can you actually to the swap on the Rode? Or am I not understanding this? I'm definitely interested.

Matt McGlynn of RecordingHacks mic database has the most comprehensive list of K47-type mics Ive seen.

To this list I would add my own MJE-K47H capsule head for SDC mics. In early 2010 I'll be releasing a full line of MJE - Michael Joly Editions mics and the LDCs will be based on my K47-type capsule. In the meantime, I do retrofit my MJE-K47 capsule into a range of K67-type mics.

I should have also mentioned that the capsule used in the Oktava MK-219 / 319 / 101 and 2500 mics is the closest to the K47-type sound without being a K47 design. So if you're looking for warmth, a used MK-319 - a FET / transformer coupled mic for around $100 is a great value stock and offers exceptional upside potential.

Back