Improving Spoken Word Audio

MrDollinger

Hi all,

Hopefully I'm asking in an appropriate area :)

I've been working on some test footage for a project, just to help set up audio and video processing chains and seeing what I need to do. I've managed to get some of the way there, but could possibly use some more experienced ears to get the best out of what I have.

The Equipment: I'm using an Android mobile for recording audio. I've got a Boya BY-A7H recording audio. The camera software I'm using has AGC disabled, because with it enabled, it would cut everything above about 10k and sound muffled and awful. (Note: I'm anticipating 'buy a better mic' coming up here and that may be a possibility in the future, it might not be now so I'm wanting to get the best out what I have already).

What I've done: I've used WA Production's Vocal Cleaner to get rid of some fan noise that was being picked up, trying to keep it to the minimum required to take out the noise. I've used an EQ to do a few cuts around 300-500hz to remove some boxiness, and done a small cut around 9200hz and up to get rid of some harshness I've then amplified the signal to bring it just shy of hitting the limiter I have on the output channel.

The issue: I still think the audio needs .... something. It seems to be in a way I can't put into words though. It may be that it's just I'm not used to the sound of my own voice so it could just be fine any I just have to get used to editing myself. I suspect some of it might boil down to mic choice given it's at the more 'budget friendly' end of the spectrum. But if there is something easy that I'm missing that could improve it, that would be great as even though I might be limited by the cheap mic, it would be still nice to get the best out of it.

I've uploaded a sample I've been working with here.

Don't mind the rather .... silly narrative. This was of course never intended for public consumption, it was just some random silliness to get my normal speaking voice and also a few weird sounds to try and capture variations in level in case I needed to work on compression. It was just the first thing that came to mind :)

Other than a bit of sibilance in your speaking voice, the sample isn't bad. It could probably use a bit more bottom, you may cut a bit too much in the 300 Hz range. I think the sample lacks "fullness", but then I don't know your voice.

The mic you have seems to be adequate. If the boxiness is coming from the room, which I suspect is the case, then some dampening would help. Being omni directional, the room will play a big part of the sound. You're not dealing with lots of low frequencies here, so a few simple thick duvets will help calm some of the reflections.

I guess the goal will be the deciding factor here. Is this a commercial venture? In that case, it probably wouldn't pass muster vs a true professional voice over artist. If it's a personal project like an instructional video, then it could very well serve the purpose. For someone listening on a cell phone, they probably won't know the difference between your $40 mic and a $4000 mic. If you are narrating for a TV program with the potential viewer having a full fledged home theater setup, then you'll want better.

Other than a bit of sibilance in your speaking voice, the sample isn't bad. It could probably use a bit more bottom, you may cut a bit too much in the 300 Hz range. I think the sample lacks "fullness", but then I don't know your voice.

OK so I might need to throw in some de-essing.

This isn't going to be for professional work, it's more for a personal project that will make it online. It sounds like if I can get something to work for some sound deadening, that might work. The only issue might be the size of the room - though at least something that absorbs something coming off the wall/roof might work.

"The only issue might be the size of the room" It is always an issue! Unless the room is really vast it will colour the sound.
What is "small" though? I would suggest most of us have to work in about 60cu mtrs (1620 cu ft) so you are almost forced to bugger about with duvets.

Sibilance can often be mitigated by the old trick of talking off axis, 'across' the mic instead of at it (yes, I know it's an omni but even the best ones get directional at HF) I also do hope you are using a pop gag? A man's hanky draped over the mic if nothing else is to hand will help.

Dave.

"The only issue might be the size of the room" It is always an issue! Unless the room is really vast it will colour the sound.
What is "small" though? I would suggest most of us have to work in about 60cu mtrs (1620 cu ft) so you are almost forced to bugger about with duvets.
I don't have the exact size of the room at hand, though it is combined kitchen/living area I'm working out of. My comment more was that I'm simply not going to be able to plaster the walls with sound deadening material. What I'm hoping is a few panels on the roof directly above the mic and a few up the wall behind it will be enough, I've got some mounting tape I can use for that.

I also do hope you are using a pop gag? A man's hanky draped over the mic if nothing else is to hand will help.
The mic does come with a pop filter which I've left attached. It's essentially just a bit of foam but I'm sure it's better than not using it.

The foam should be good enough. The room treatment, the "duvet dance" is pretty straightforward. You need to stop, a s far as possible your voice going out into the room so hang a duvet or blanket behind the mic. That will also reduce reflections getting into the back of the mic. But some sound will of course escape and come back behind you so another absorbent sheet at your back will help a lot. Ceilings tend to be quite 'leaky' unless made of concrete so not so much of a bother.

Dave.

I don't have the exact size of the room at hand, though it is combined kitchen/living area I'm working out of. My comment more was that I'm simply not going to be able to plaster the walls with sound deadening material. What I'm hoping is a few panels on the roof directly above the mic and a few up the wall behind it will be enough, I've got some mounting tape I can use for that.

The mic does come with a pop filter which I've left attached. It's essentially just a bit of foam but I'm sure it's better than not using it.
You have a sibilance enhanced voice - and like @TalismanRich stated I think you've trimmed the low end a little to much - rather that go though the expense of sound proofing your room- try a Vocal Shield to tame the acoustics - along with the pop filter that should clean it up nicely - also you could try a Desser Plug In - I am trying out Fabfilter Pro-DS - and it's pretty good - I also like the Desser that comes with Isotope RX Advanced - plus it has a lot of other features to clean up audio.

caas32flex_2.jpg

I've used WA Production's Vocal Cleaner
I've used an EQ to do a few cuts around 300-500hz
I've then amplified the signal to bring it just shy of hitting the limiter
in case I needed to work on compression.
OK so I might need to throw in some de-essing.
It sounds like if I can get something to work for some sound deadening

I note these items - making it louder is sensible at the end, if the levels are too low - there's a convention to follow. EQ - gentle and appropriate only. Big cuts or boosts is an indication something is adrift. If you need a vocal cleaner because the room is noisy, sort the noise, fixing it is a last resort as it always is a negative on quality. As said, mic placement usually cures sibilance.

Hanging a duvet on a mic boom stand in a T shape works wonders controlling the sound of the room - subject to mic and subject to duvet, coupled with mic to duvet - behind the subject if that surface is the source of destructive reflections, but off to one side if that's where the hollow sound comes from - or even do deaded that fan.

I too think the voice is normal sounding - and typical of your type of mic. They're very bright and clean - sort of par for the course.

Last edited:
Back