Improving a TLM 193

MOTU

Okay, I am sure this posting (or a very similar one), has been posted before, but I didn't see what I needed with my search. Additionally, I read through the "Microphone FAQ" thread as well as did some Google searching without too much success...enough of the disclaimers.

I bought a TLM 193 about 2 years ago based on a recommendation from an acquantaince who went to Berkee College of Music and found myself very underwhelmed with its performance. I run it through my Mackie 1402-VLZ and into my A/D converter and then into Digital Performer 3. (That should give you enough insight to know that I don't keep up with the latest technology!) I just record for fun for/with myself and friends. However, I bought a relatively expensive mic with high expectations.

I also understand what I'm about to ask is just as subjective as asking what is the best flavor of ice cream, but I'm not sure where else to turn...

What do I need to do to make my TLM 193 sound warmer and perhaps not so colorless? I use the word colorless, even though I might meet some resistence.

I'll throw out some options:
1. Buy a mic pre for my 193
2. Sell the 193 and buy a different LDC
3. Sell the 193 and buy a different LDC and a mic pre
4. Keep the 193 and use some special micing techniques known to few people in the world, but which will be disclosed to me on this BB.

At this point in time I find myself using my Beta 57 to track vocals rather than the Neumann. Something is drastically wrong. Any thoughts? I'm open to almost anything, but with a new baby on the way I'm not looking to drop a lot of dough. More truthfully, my wife is not looking to drop a lot of dough.

Thanks in advance for your help/opinions.

Jeremiah

A better quality preamp would bring out more from your mic. Limitations in your pre will come trough as a lack luster quality in your sound. Not that Im ragging on the Mackies pres, I have a 24-8 myself ( all though, I havent used my boards pres in a quite few years), just that a better pre would do that mic a little more justice.

That seems fair enough. Any recommendations on pres, considering I don't want to spend very much, or will being thrifty on a pre defeat the purpose? I guess I'm looking for a good value, whatever that be.

Im partial to the tube gear myself, but thats me,and it can come at a heavy price. Each pre will sound a little different from one another and have a different "tonal characteristic" to it. A fairly decent mic pre can start at around $300-$500 per channel. Ive found that the really inexpensive ones still lack in quality (either in sound or construction/components) . Just remember, the better the pre you get, the better ALL of your mics are going to sound through it. As far as bang for the buck, you might want to go the used route. Ive grabbed some pretty killer gear that way.

Tube Pre

A nice tube preamp should warm things up.

I like @1:10 input transformer with 12AX7 (x2) stage and a 12AU7 cathode follower output transformer balanced.

I fell in love recently with an old amp with this topology... It almost polishes turds when tracking.

I have to tell ya, I am intrigued by what I've been hearing about this pre. How does one get to audition one here in the US?

BigRay said:
two things..

a world class preamp (and I really mean world class!) is the DAV BG-1
www.davelectronics.com/bg1.htm do some searches on it....700 bucks for 2 channels of amazing preamps...mark knopfler and david gilmour use them...

OR go to www.audioupgrades.com and ask about tweaking the tlm 193 with better components. Jim Williams is the owner of that business and is a real genius.

or both ;)

fraserhutch said:
I have to tell ya, I am intrigued by what I've been hearing about this pre. How does one get to audition one here in the US?

I dont think you can audition one per se...but there are samples galore..and you dont have to hear this one...it is the )@#_@)# _)!! Retailers arent allowed to carry it because Mick didnt want the price to go up...BG1 has a completely flat response up to 150 kHz ...Trust me on this one..

http://www.michaelsawitzke.com/teddy/

http://gearslutz.com/board/showthread.php3?t=63297

Thanks for everyone's advice. It's essentially what I expected to hear. I'm still open to other recommendations regarding pres.

That Line 6 tone port ux2 sounds interesting since I've been impressed with the Pod xt. I know many on this site would pooh-pooh modelers, but it's certainly a cheap way to go...and I could test it and return it if I'm not satisfied.

I'm willing to bet Big Rays recommendation is great, but I can't convince the wife to spend $800 site-unseen, (you know what I mean!). I generally subscribe to the "you get what you pay for" line of thought, but I can't always justfiy the cash for my home-studio/do-it-for-fun projects.

Anyone have any more thoughts/insights/experiences with the Line 6 Tone Port UX2? I see it only got a 5.5 out of 10 on zzounds.

If you're just looking to warm it up a bit...the SP VTB-1 is a great bang for buck item...usually around $100, pick one up used fot 60-80... If you're wanting something cleaner, often people (myself included) recommend the DMP3 - another great bang for buck pre...I've got 2 and they were both around 100 used for 2 channels. Both of these will be a small step up from the Mackie in my opinion. they may be only a small step, but for fun and a small budget they'll do you lots of good and they'll give you a different flavour from you VLZ's and they're a great starting off point I think. Another option (more time and money) is to make your own pres! I've been looking into it lately...and it's fasinating!

Jacob

I've also looked into building my own pres. My friend bought his 2 channel from <http://www.paia.com/> and he really likes it. One channel has a very slight buzz, which is covered with any sort of sound...but is there nonetheless. The other channel is perfectly clean.

He said it wasn't difficult, and that the instructions were very clear. However, he is also an electrical engineer by education. I don't know if my finance degree will help me much with interpreting electrical wiring instructions.

MOTU said:
Thanks for everyone's advice. It's essentially what I expected to hear. I'm still open to other recommendations regarding pres.

That Line 6 tone port ux2 sounds interesting since I've been impressed with the Pod xt. I know many on this site would pooh-pooh modelers, but it's certainly a cheap way to go...and I could test it and return it if I'm not satisfied.

Anyone have any more thoughts/insights/experiences with the Line 6 Tone Port UX2? I see it only got a 5.5 out of 10 on zzounds
It got a 4.5 out of 5 on Harmony Central...the prosessing is done through your computer and Modelers have come a long way since the Pod came out...those pres sound darn close to real ones.

By the way Ive never really been happy with my VTB-1...and those DIY kits arent really any better than an ART tube pre...and that is if it comes out perfect.

I should probably just bone up and pay for quality. That almost always gets me the best results.

After reading more I don't like how the Line 6 is run through the computer. I would like it all done in the outboard unit itself.

I like the latter being as how the prossessing power using the computer allows the different models to be adjusted using thier original knobs and the prossessing is rather pedestrian for a computer while the details on an outboard unit may suffer because of the prossessing power on the outboards arent that great...I use a longer USB2 cable and the computer itself isnt in my tracking room so for me noise isnt an issue. It has digital outs for my Akai DPS Daw...added 2 inputs there. was 8 now 10.

I hate to tell you to spend more money, but I would highly recommend looking at the Universal Audio M610. It can be had for $900 if you look around, and having used a TLM 193 > M610 > Mackie Onyx, I'll tell you that the sound was rather nice. A darker, warmer tone than I find out of many mics of the same caliber (TLM 103, UM-900, MKH-416... although the last one is a bit of a ringer).

It comes down to what specifically you are looking to get from the mic.

darrin_h2000 said:
I like the latter being as how the prossessing power using the computer allows the different models to be adjusted using thier original knobs and the prossessing is rather pedestrian for a computer while the details on an outboard unit may suffer because of the prossessing power on the outboards arent that great...I use a longer USB2 cable and the computer itself isnt in my tracking room so for me noise isnt an issue. It has digital outs for my Akai DPS Daw...added 2 inputs there. was 8 now 10.
huh?

(10 chars)

Back