importing wav and significant volume loss

anchovio

hi, ive been learning sonar recently, and have had a problem when importing audio... the audio track im importing is normally very loud when played in sound forge, but when i put it into sonar, its volume decreases significantly and it really just loses something.. does anyone know what this problem might be?

Is the track-volume turned down? Is the master-volume turned down? Weird panning? Any effects?

If you can answer no to all these questions, then I don't know...

nope to all... dammit!

nyope, everythings kosher in those departments... its like the first thing i do is import this audio file, so i havent made any changes to the defaults or anything like that... hmmmm, yeah the dynamics are completely gone when its this quiet, arrrgh

If you have a multi in/out soundcard it could be that Sonar is using another out than Sound Forge. I did that and couldn't figure out what hell was wrong...

What soundcard do you have?

Are you going through any sample rate conversions when importing your audio?

I've had a similar problem when Sonar (2.0) imports and converts from 31.25 to 44.1 khz.

I use wavelab and experiencing the same volume loss. I noticed Wavelab forced me to save it in 16 bits so I wonder if that's the cause.

hmm

thanks for all the help, currently i have sb!live, so yknow, it aint the greatest

yeah i checked for sample rate too, but i always pretty much have 44100 16 bit yadda yadda, so i cant see why sonar reduced its volume that much..

strange stuff... keep the comments coming i appreciate it all, i just gotta fig this out or im not gonna have very good sonar experiences..

Let's have some more details. 1. Mono or stereo? 2. What's the peak amplitude as measured in soundforge and sonar (you may even create a test mono sine wave to make it easier).

Sonar has a mixer, when a mono track feeds a stereo mix, it gets cut around 4db if panned centre. Sound Forge is just an editor and doesn't need to do this. This centre cut is called "Panning Law" and is to prevent the mix being changed when a stereo sound is played on a mono system and keeps the volume constant when a sound is panned from left to right.
Also, Sonar uses wdm drivers while Soundforge uses the older MME. Wdm has a problem with many soundcard drivers due to a "feature" of the Windows wdm sound system - you get a 6db cut on playback! It is possible for the drivers to avoid this but most Consumer cards like Creatives don't bother.

its a stereo file.. actually heres something odd, the same volume reduction occurred when just to test things, i placed the file in acid.. perhaps its a software difference? in that case, crap.. should i just amplify it in soundforge?

Funny , I have CW pro audio 9.01 and when i do my editing with Cool edit pro then load the wave into CW it too goes quieter.

you might try an experiment along the lines of what JIM Y said. send it to Sonar as a mono feed and see if it retains the volume levels. However I have a sb live and haven`t experienced that problem myself.

Back