Importing / Exporting problems - Really quite lost

CanopuS

Amateur music since 1847
I'm really not sure how to describe these problems. I've been recording some stuff with a friend using his laptop (running Pro Tracks) and some stuff on my computer using Cakewalk Pro Audio 8. With Pro Tracks you can export seperate files by dragging them onto the desktop. These then work perfectly in any program like RealOne or Windows Media Player, but as soon as I drag them into CPA8 they become tinny, with a nasty hi-frequency ring.
Same thing with Cakewalk WAVs. In order to export them I have to change the audio format (to 16bit) and then export them one at a time. However, in Pro Tracks they then get this ringing again. I'm not sure what it is, or if there is a better way that I can export from Cakewalk. It's really starting to bother me, as I have this project to be done by the end of the week and the only real way I can complete it is through using both computers.

Sorry for the post, but I really hope someone can offer some suggestions!

Thanks for your time

If you put these file to CD and play them on a stereo, do you still hear the ringing? If not, it sounds like you are monitoring the same thing from 2 different places at the same time.

Hmmm well.... if I try to burn them to an Audio CD it has a problem, stating that they are not in the correct format.

I then looked at the properties of the files, I wonder if this can tell you anything?

Those that came from Pro Tracks and are imported into Cakewalk:

Bit Rate: 1411kbps
Audio Sample Size: 16 bit
Channels: 2 (stereo)
Audio sample rate: 44kHz
Audio Format: PCM

Those that came from Cakewalk and are imported into Pro Tracks:

Bit Rate: 3072kbps
Audio sample rate: 96kHz

The CD burning software didn't like either of these.

I wonder if anything can be deciphered from such information. Thanks :)

Are you sure that they are wav files? I've never had anything thing tell me a bitrate on a wav file. That usually happens with mp3s or some other compressed audio format. That would also explain the tinny-ness and high frequency garbage.

CanopuS said:
Those that came from Pro Tracks and are imported into Cakewalk:

Those that came from Cakewalk and are imported into Pro Tracks:

Bit Rate: 3072kbps
Audio sample rate: 96kHz

Looks like they use different audio export-import setting. 96kHz is not CD standard. I dunno how to do it in Pro Tracks nor Cake 8, but try go Options --> Audio, and make sure you export import using standard 16 bit / 44kHz. Hope it helps.

;)
Jaymz

Aha. Difficult to tell but in Cakewalk with cheap headphones the trashy stuff seems to have gone. Hopefully this applies universally now! Thanks a lot - Probably a bit of a lame question in the end :)

Farview said:
Are you sure that they are wav files? I've never had anything thing tell me a bitrate on a wav file. That usually happens with mp3s or some other compressed audio format. That would also explain the tinny-ness and high frequency garbage.

This looks like what you get on a right click on a wav in Explorer (-at least in XP. On my old 98 now, I can't do it.) But come to think of it, what the hell is 'bitrate' on a wav?
Oops. Never mind. :rolleyes: SF x bit depth x 2.

Wayne

Very quickly - I checked again this morning and unfortunately the high pitch ringing is still there :(

Back