IMPORTANT: read this FAQ BEFORE POSTING HERE!

I should have been more clear of what I expected; I apologize.

It would be best to make it a sticky when it's ready, and I myself don't know whether it is sticky-worthy yet or not. It's certainly not finished, but I don't think it will ever be finished, because I'm going to continually add to it.

HOWEVER, I wanted everyone to know that the FAQ does in fact exist, and if there are newbies with questions they could be forwarded there NOW, even though the FAQ isn't complete yet. The thing is already pretty huge!

Thanks
-Graham

grahamware,

Under your Pop Filter section... a pop filter also blocks some of the highs, so you may NOT always want to use one.

FAQ daily update and responses:

I'm dividing up the big page into smaller pages, because 140k is just too big for some 28k'ers.

I'm revamping the mic section. I realized alphabetically might be more handy for reference, but NOT for the newbie. I am rearranging the microphones by type and by price on another page, and this should be done soon.

Individual mic features will be posted with their respective microphones, but due to copyright issues I don't know if I can have pictures. Links, however, will be avalible to go to the manufacturer's site (with pictures and official specs).

sklathill and DJL - I'm glad you are reading carefully, and have brought this up.

This is something I've been quarelling with myself. (not the particular mic issues, but the issue in general). I want the FAQ to reflect as accurately as possible the overall opinion of this forum.

You say that the kick mic is underappreciated on these forums; that is precisely why it isn't found in the FAQ (yet). Don't take this as a disagreement - you're probably right, because I don't know a damn thing about kick mics. But the Shure Beta 52, the AKG D112, The ATM25 - these are covered much more thoroughly around here, and therefore they are on the FAQ.

DJL and sklathill, I have not fully researched either topic, so to save me some time, I'll do this: I'm going to start two new threads, and see where public opinion lies. This will solve any discrepencies.

Thanks everyone, and stay tuned. And thanks That_abbott for saying so!
-Graham

EDIT:...I'm not done finding microphones/facts yet, so don't get concerned if I'm missing something. So far, I have a good chunk of stuff, but certainly not everything.

Last edited:
Daily update time!

FAQ update:

-Frames implemented, so the FAQ is easy to navigate.
-Page split into several smaller, more consumable pages.
-Mic page by brand implemented; by type still under construction.

What I need:

-I've got what I believe are the most talked about mics on this forum, besides the Neumanns, which I'm getting to. Recommend some other mics, and I'll be happy to do some research on them.

Thanks guys for the bumps, and I'm glad to hear it arjun. I thought you'd like that mark7!

-Graham

Re: Daily update time!

grahamware said:
What I need:

-I've got what I believe are the most talked about mics on this forum, besides the Neumanns, which I'm getting to. Recommend some other mics, and I'll be happy to do some research on them.

There's a really good review in the July issue of Recording called What's in your Mic Closet? That could be a really good reference for you.

For the purpose of what you're doing, I like the way you approach your recommendations for Piano recording. Rather than just throwing out a bunch of recommended models, you kind of delve in to the categories; the differences between small-diaphragm condensers and large; the benefits and drawbacks of each, etc.

chessrock: Thanks for the article tip. I'm on the lookout.

I completely agree; the piano recording section is very well done. However, this is not my work - it's Harvey's. So far, at least, I'm only posting direct quotes from the forum. None of the work is my own, or has been written for the express purpose of the FAQ.

I haven't finished searching for the best of the best advice on specific mic applications, but when I do, I hope to fill in the holes in the 'electric guitar' section, 'rock band' section, etc.

This is an interesting point, however. Perhaps someone is interested in writing for particularly weak parts of the FAQ? For example, the 'rap' section is awful. I'm trying to find stuff, but it's taking me a while.

If someone wants to write a specific part of the FAQ, please do (ask me first); but It'd be better if it were written in the spirit of the forum - how would the forum answer this question? Rich Monroe would steer you away from shures, chessrock suggests something very different, etc. Not exactly in this form, but you get the idea; it can't be a one sided editorial, there needs to be both (or more) sides to the argument.

Thanks for lookin'!
-Graham

I'm willing to search the archives for opinions if you like. I've already pulled some good quotes on various CAD mics out of the ether. :)

Hell yeah

wow! Mark7, that'd be awesome. There's a lot to do, and I won't bother listing it for you here, because I'm sure you can tell where the holes are (case in point: CAD mikes).

Whatever you can find, send it to me at grahamware@aol.com. I'd definitely appreciate any contributions!

This job is too big for one guy. Besides, I don't want to get too many of my own personal biases in here. :cool:

Will do. Though it's like, nearly 1AM here so I'm going to bed.

But I'll be on it in the AM. :)

Just wanted to throw a thanx at ya'. Nice bit of work. All the more impressive considering the integrity you're trying to maintain. Very good idea indeed. Good luck - keep at it.

lou

Back