Importance of Soundcard question.

alschmid

Hello People

I have the following problem:
I have a pentium III 500, 30gig, 256 megs of ram, and a guillemot maxi studio isis sound interface. Now I can't get this damn interface to run on ASIO/ASIO2 drivers and I have to have it run under PC AV/DirectSound drivers in Logic (4.7).
The interface is damn slow (giant latency) and I'm thinking of buying a new one.

Now what shall I buy?
- I was thinking of a Midiman/M-Audio Delta44 or 66 or something in that price range
- I can't run more than, say, 4 Audio tracks simultaneously at the moment - could this be better with an other interface? or do I need more ram? (Logic Usage-Bars say there is no problem with disk I/O, so I will leave the disks alone).
- PCI-Interface, not USB, right?

Thanks for any (ANY!) input!
Cheers
al/switzerland

The track count is probably not the interface, you probably need to tweak your PC. There are various documents around about how to optimize your PC for use as an audio recorder.

My new Delta 44 will arrive in a week! Can't wait! :D

I have Celeron 400 with 196 Mb of RAM and it can playback more than 10 tracks in Samplitude with a few DirectX effects added... A few effects... :( Your computer seemes t be powerfull enough to do the same. Maybe it's sound card's driver's problem? My Vibra 128 (15$ sh*t) is working really bad under XP, cause Creative doesn't want to make special drivers for win XP. Anyway, if you're gonna buy a new audio interface - Delta (44, 66, or 1010 if you have some extra cash and need more than 4 ins simultaniously) is perfect solution, I think. At least everybody says that it is. ;)

i have a delta 1010, so far i can playback 121 tracks 24bit tracks with effects/compression/eq on about give or take 30-50 of them. with all that my cpu rides about 50% or sometimes a little higher.i have a athlonXp 1600+ with 512mb ram, soon to be a athlonXP 1900+ and 1gig of ram and use the 1600 for graphics

As I understand it, the number of tracks comes from the speed of the hard drive where the audio files are located. I've never run more than 8 stereo tracks at the same time on my 7200 rpm Western Digital HD. I ran echo's old test on it and it said it could handle up to 22 tracks while recording 2 tracks. Who knows how many till I actually test it out in real life. Remeber, the HD is the key to getting more tracks.

Back