Importance of guitar fretboard knowledge !!

choctaw

Tribal Member
This has nothing to do with recording but I did not find any other place this post might belong.

Recently I read some info about the guitar written by Bill Edwards in his book Fretboard Logic. It made me think just how lucky we are that people who came before us took the time to properly design the guitar in its unique way. We as guitar players might not be informed of the wonders this instrument has to offer in its special makeup.

Mr. Edward’s writes that the guitar has changed in many ways since it evolved. However the tuning system of six strings tuned EADGBE, which is fundamentally different from any other instrument in existence has stayed the same over hundreds of years (not withstanding some exceptions if one so chooses to reinvent the wheel) Everything that we play on this instrument gets filtered through this tuning system. He believes that nothing could be more essential than a working knowledge of the instruments fretboad itself, and that working out how the tuning is related to the fretboard in terms of patterns is a basis for understanding the guitar and its possibilities, without which one cannot become an accomplished guitarist.

The guitar cannot be understood in terms of comparison with any other instrument. When looking at how the guitar is designed both in shape and the placement of notes in relationship to its specific tuning it becomes a very ergonomic interface between the players body parts and the notes he wishes to play. In other words the human hand and its fingers along with the design of the guitar fretboard are made for each others compatibility much like the keyboard on a computer works to transmit human movement into intended results. End of message about Edward’s and his evaluations of the guitar.

Just writing some things I wanted to share about the guitar and it’s special place in the music arena.

Back