impedance.. ohms.. help!

golden words, man.....
but i decided not to take money from, or play music with someone who is not my real friend.. i mean real friend.. im out of the game, so i need real friends.. its not about money.. its about being on the right side..

so can anyone give me good real life examples of that mixer's usage?? more -better.. thnks
we r talking about super duper moped mixer soundlab micro mixer g105da

What is your question man? You have every answer you need here. You can buy a crappy preamp to make use of the silly mixer, but that isn't going to do any justice. Even if you bought a $3000 Neve your weakest link will be the crappy stuff in your chain.

Sorry I am not your 'real' friend and my money is no good to you. Listen to the advice given and forget about the friggen $15 mixer. You are wasting your time talking about it. Honestly, I feel I have wasted my time hearing about it.

how can it deal with unbalanced strong line inputs if it has such low impedance values???? i dont get..
so how important is to have 7-10 higher impedance in inputs than outputs???
plz give me more examples.

ecc83 says its not so important.. so why everybody scream about inputs being much higher than sources?? to avoid signal loss, degradation..
i ve seen how guitar's high end gets lost and souds overall dull when input inpedance is lower..
the same with mics...

Who's "screaming"??
Forgive me but you doing the noob thing of mixing up apple and orange audio systems and extrapolating ONE I/O condition onto another.

Microphones are of a pretty well established, international standard source impedance of 200Ohms in Europe and 150R in USA. The rest of the world pick their mates but in practice 150/200 don't matter squat.

Again, mic pres are all pretty much 1 to 2kOhms (except for the specials with variable input Z but these are either boutique, high end jobbies or band wagon jumping cheapies!) BUT! You would be hard pressed to tell the difference between a mic loaded with 600R and 2k in practice EVEN if (as you must) matched the A/B levels to better than 0.1dB! Yes, with SOME mics on SOME sources and auditioned by top people on fabulous monitors there is a subtle change* but even here, no self respecting capacitor (aka condenser) mic will care response wise how it is loaded.
Then, many people say the old Shures sound better into 600Ohms!

This ^ is all "proper" audio engineering. Guitars are not! They are the result of scores of different people's ideas of what constitutes a "good" pickup. The resistance, inductance, interwinding capacitance and output of the pups on the market spans at LEAST a 10:1 ratio and probably more. The best we can do therefore is get as much of the signal as possible, i.e. not load it lower than about 100k and hope the amp has enough tone control to get the desired sound. There IS no "standard" electric guitar and so the input Z of an amp can never be "right"!

Here is a little know "secret" about some guitar amps, especially old designs...Those amps with a dual, "high low" input? If you plug into the low input (with say a hot humbucker) the input Z is SIXTY EIGHT K! Might even be as low as 56k. Again, no bugger ever says ***t!

So, stop sweating impedance and get a decent audio interface.

*Even so, the difference can be tweaked with EQ.

Dave.

When I was a teenager, I used to live record my drum track to cassette on a ghetto blaster. Then I'd take that tape, play it in the hi-fi, set the ghetto blaster next to the speaker playing the drum track, and record bass. Then I'd take that tape of drums and bass, put it in the hi-fi, set the ghetto blaster to record again next to the speaker, and record a guitar track to the drums and bass. Eventually I'd have a poor mans multitrack that actually didn't sound that terrible, and it was less than $15 in cassette tapes. Maybe you could try that.

I can give you a 'real life' example of using a mixer like that.
It would have been around '97-'98, i lived in a house full of muso's, this place had virtually no furniture outside of music&PA/Hi-Fi gear, most of which was half working, broken, of questionable origin or just plain crap. Anyway, had heaps of 'jams' that usually ended up in some half-arsed attempt to record some stuff, usually to tape but i had my already decrepit PentiumII with CubaseVST that i had set up to record with people laughing at me and saying things like you can't do s&*t like that on a computer.

Had a 4-channel radio shack 'Microphone' mixer a lot like yours but only one bank of four ins 1/4" or rca and two outputs, all unbalanced, i think it had a switch labeled stereo which routed 1&2 to L out 3&4 to R out. I used it to mic the 2 drum kits we had set up, all dynamics, probably Rolands or some other cheap stage mic, unbalanced usually through a xlr to 1/4" cable. I'd just use it to get a mono drum mix from 4 mics to record. The levels that came out of it were basically useless, i remember running it's output through a technics 1200 DJ mixer to get a signal anywhere near worth recording. Nobody worried about impedence matching or the fact we may have been using a RIAA eq'd Phono input to get to the preamp.

I also remember using it as a 'breakout box' to plug stuff into my pc. It's really just a passive summing mixer that someone thought slapping microphone on to it's name described it better, or just had no real idea what it is. Ive seen similar mixers used in live sound for a similar purpose, to balance mics before running into another mixer with a preamp, but I'm talking in bottom end situations - pub gigs, big parties,buskers.

But i guess the point of that 'back in my day' ramble was that as long as we could record something, quality didn't matter. We were mostly recording punk/thrash, with turntables and some jungle D&B splashed through it, the late 90's were bloody awful for people trying to fuse every type of music into some godawful fusion sound. There was no pretense of professionalism or finesse, we thought these raw sounds were better than any of the crap 'the system' was telling us to like, and we all thought we were pretty avant-garde and bucking it as hard as we could. We wanted our music to sound anti-social, so we were happy with the results. These days i think the results sounded like crap, mud under noise.

I think you've already had your question answered already by others, just thought you might relate to that as real life. I say use what you've got, you might be able to pull off a miracle, but accept your gear's limitations, and from what you said about where you are at in life, i'd focus on your music and finding your happiness in that, an impedance matched input, as good as it can sound, will never stir your being like beautiful music - there is no system, it's just a bunch of coincidences and events that we choose to define in our own minds, and none of us really have any idea at all about the truth. IMHO P.S. sorry about the long winded drivel, but i think you asked for it, and i was bored :)

Last edited:
Who's "screaming"??
Forgive me but you doing the noob thing of mixing up apple and orange audio systems and extrapolating ONE I/O condition onto another.

Microphones are of a pretty well established, international standard source impedance of 200Ohms in Europe and 150R in USA. The rest of the world pick their mates but in practice 150/200 don't matter squat.

Again, mic pres are all pretty much 1 to 2kOhms (except for the specials with variable input Z but these are either boutique, high end jobbies or band wagon jumping cheapies!) BUT! You would be hard pressed to tell the difference between a mic loaded with 600R and 2k in practice EVEN if (as you must) matched the A/B levels to better than 0.1dB! Yes, with SOME mics on SOME sources and auditioned by top people on fabulous monitors there is a subtle change* but even here, no self respecting capacitor (aka condenser) mic will care response wise how it is loaded.
Then, many people say the old Shures sound better into 600Ohms!

This ^ is all "proper" audio engineering. Guitars are not! They are the result of scores of different people's ideas of what constitutes a "good" pickup. The resistance, inductance, interwinding capacitance and output of the pups on the market spans at LEAST a 10:1 ratio and probably more. The best we can do therefore is get as much of the signal as possible, i.e. not load it lower than about 100k and hope the amp has enough tone control to get the desired sound. There IS no "standard" electric guitar and so the input Z of an amp can never be "right"!

Here is a little know "secret" about some guitar amps, especially old designs...Those amps with a dual, "high low" input? If you plug into the low input (with say a hot humbucker) the input Z is SIXTY EIGHT K! Might even be as low as 56k. Again, no bugger ever says ***t!

So, stop sweating impedance and get a decent audio interface.

*Even so, the difference can be tweaked with EQ.

Dave.

thanks for such a good info... well so those values can vary so much..600R and 2k .. i see ...

100k guitar signal into SIXTY EIGHT K! Might even be as low as 56k?? what a low value for pups' input! ***t!
never knew about how relative/optional these things can be.. well it brings more confusion than ever then..

When I was a teenager, I used to live record my drum track to cassette on a ghetto blaster. Then I'd take that tape, play it in the hi-fi, set the ghetto blaster next to the speaker playing the drum track, and record bass. Then I'd take that tape of drums and bass, put it in the hi-fi, set the ghetto blaster to record again next to the speaker, and record a guitar track to the drums and bass. Eventually I'd have a poor mans multitrack that actually didn't sound that terrible, and it was less than $15 in cassette tapes. Maybe you could try that.

im doing similar with my tascam souncard us 122L. recording 1 or 2 tracks at a time.. later adding midi drums etc..

well , my question is answered... since the impedance is so irrelevant, i'll buy that crappy moped mixer to plug more mics into my soundcard and start recording my music. i dont care about top quality in this area.
track by track by track.. wanna record it for my daughter and myself.. so she could hear what real honest and loving music means.. i never had any of those things in my life..

as Anders Erisian said - "i'd focus on your music and finding your happiness in that"

thanks guys, and nothing personal in my opinions!

farview, It's designed for something completely different???? what for?? give me examples then.. thks

Steenamaroo said:
It's a line mixer for line level sources. Keyboards, synthesisers, ipods....
A microphone puts out a much smaller signal and needs a preamplifier in front of it. A dynamic mic needs an especially strong preamplifier.

There are low end, battery operated microphones that might put out the signal level necessary to use this, but an SM57/8 isn't one of them.

I assume you aren't in chicago (neither am I, but I was the last time I bookmarked Craigslist) Behringer 8 Channel Mixer This is what you need, you could probably talk the guy down to $20.

There are low end, battery operated microphones that might put out the signal level necessary to use this, but an SM57/8 isn't one of them.

I assume you aren't in chicago (neither am I, but I was the last time I bookmarked Craigslist) Behringer 8 Channel Mixer This is what you need, you could probably talk the guy down to $20.

exactly.. i have cheap extra mics that r extremely sensitive.. if i remove caps they pick up sound like damn condensers!! ;) it will be enough for that moped mixer..
and sm57 i use into my soundcard's xlr.. good enough level..

well im in europe , near baltics.. so..

Back