Impartial opinions on recording needed

rick woodall

hia folks, I've been doing some recording of my self and have just finished (or not) my first track. I cant decide whether it's usable or not. I wont tell you what I think is wrong with it as I dont want to influence your opinions and I'm sure if I asked people i know they would say it was good regardless.

I mainly want opinions in regards to the performance. the recording isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination but i am much more concerned with the performance. its done in one take to a click track with a slight percussion bit added on.

I basically want to know if the thing that is annoying me (about the performance) sticks out like a soar thumb or whether I'm just noticing it because i played and recorded the track

the mics i used were 2 x MXL 603S and a road NT1A with some cheapish M audio pre's

so heres the track Ok 1-03 by rick woodall on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

a) go back & edit your 1st post - drop in the new link or refer people to the post with the link.
b) performance: the guitar licks, except for the outro, need some variation on the resolving note & they also stick out like sore thumbs; the vocals are pretty uninspired - I mean not passioante ina nyway. the melody & lyrics work but you don't esell them.
It's a good song - so keep at it.

duely noted, i might simplify the guitar track and add another instument to fill the song out. I recon a an easier guitar part would make it easier for me to concentrate on a better vocal performance

This is a nice track it has an airy quality to it, I like the guitar actually.
This is a laid back sort of song so don't work it to death.
If you feel a little un-inspired by it, just put it away for awhile and come back to it later with fresh ears.
Sometimes this can work wonders.
I think it's a good track, short and to the point.

YouTube - Goodbye (To You My Friend)

I like it.

I think it's recorded well but I will say that I agree that some variation would be good in that guitar.
Maybe try slightly changing it a tiny bit each time... but not much... I'm trying to think of an example... BB king does it a bit I guess.

On that note maybe try bluesing it a bit :P (but I say that about everything so don't listen to me)

I can hear what you're going for though and I like it.

im working on something now, i've changed the rythm and i'm going to put another instrument over the top. to be honest it sounds quite different so far so i'll post the new version when i've finished and see what people think

Back