iMic, CEP and Win98 SE

Adrian W.

Has anyone had any experience with the iMic USB interface from Griffen Technology?

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic/

There are some limitations with Win98 SE and below, but it's supposed to input audio fine. According to the site it won't work with some basic Win apps like Sound Recorder or Mixer, but it's supposed to be compatable with CEP 2.0. They say that:

"There are audio applications that are capable of detecting the iMic and providing their own built-in controls for volume, balance, etc. These would include, but not be limited to: Sonic Foundry Sound Forge, Cakewalk Pro Audio, Steinberg, Cubase VST32, Emagic Logic Audio, Syntrillium Cool Edit Pro, SEK'D Samplitude Studio."

http://www.griffintechnology.com/support/imic/IMIC-PC-002.html

Maybe I'm reading this wrong but as far as I know CEP uses the Windows or soundcard mixer to control input levels. They seem to suggest CEP will provide it's own controls once the interface is recognized. Anyone have any input on using this device with CEP and Win98 SE?

Thanks.

usb mic

I'm really not understanding the advantage of this gadget. Most sound cards are capable of stereo input and output..for 35 dollars you can buy an sblive platinum 5.1 card that goes inside your machine, and although it's not what a serious home recorder would end up with, i'm sure it runs circles around this device.
hope this helps
dlv

apple = pricey

apple seems to think that if it makes products that are see through, glossy and has pretty curves (candy-like?) it's automatically worth 3 times it's value. :)

anything with i or apple in front of it means expensive!

dlv

Re: apple = pricey

muskgrave said:
apple seems to think that if it makes products that are see through, glossy and has pretty curves (candy-like?) it's automatically worth 3 times it's value. :)

anything with i or apple in front of it means expensive!

dlv

Well, $35 isn't very pricey. Seems like it could be useful, with a laptop for example, and the specs seem pretty good. Even on a desktop PC there's a lot of noise (electrical and otherwise) inside a computer that can be picked up by a soundcard. I know I had to move mine several times until I found a slot where the inherent noise was less. This might be a good way around it. Mostly I was interested in how it would work with CEP and Win98 SE.

Back