I'm thinking of getting a Neve 1084, am I nuts?

tubedude said:
Question for Geoff...
Will the new 8 channel console be affordable for us homereccers or is it going to be a $10,000+ kind of deal?
Xformer preamps?
Give us some info, please... :)

Hi

We still have to work out the price but I can confirm that it will be a fraction of the $10,000 figure you quote there! :)

I think that it's important to note that it's a line input mixer so there aren't pre-amps in it, although there is a stepped Elma gain switch with a range of +10 to -20dB (with a further +10dB in hand in the fader).

I have several concepts for its use...

For a start, pre amps and eq aside, it gives you as much (if not more) than a regular console would.

i.e. Input gain control, input level indication, pre-fade insertions on inputs and outputs, 4 bus, channel mute and solo-in-place, plus a full monitor/meter system with real Sifam VU's and a phase meter (to confirm mono compatibility, especially on car radios!), stereo playback to check your recording, stereo effects return, two switched monitor outputs for two speaker systems, and even a stereo headphone driver.

This could hang on the outputs of a digital editing system and provide the mixdown to stereo. It is easily expandible to any number of channels and the add on units are less expensive as the mon/meter on the outputs is not fitted. For a small home studio it provides a perfect solution... I provide a 25 pin Cannon D as well as XLR's for the inputs and each channel has pre-fade insertions and channel outputs.

Now, if you want mic pres with EQ's to go with it, the GTQ2 has two outputs per channel and one of those outputs was designed to drive our mini-mixer. The mini-mixer is 3U high and with 8 channels of GTQ2 you would have an 8 (or more) into 4 that's 7U (12.25") tall... it would fit in a flight case easily. For not a great deal more than your original figure, you could get this combination.

:)

Geoff Tanner
www.auroraaudio.net

Thanks for the info. A single channel would sell much faster arounder here, though. We DO buy nice stuff sometimes. :)

Whats the deal with the DR-S? I know thats a Phoenix, too, but you dont mention it.

Know what burns me up?
I've read the differences in circuit design between the 1272 and 1073 Neves, and it was like one gain stage difference for the most part....
heres what kills me...
all these Neve clone companies (Vintech, etc.) keep spitting out the 1272 dual preamps for around $1200-$1400, but when they make a 1081 or 1073 preamp clone they want $2000 for the single channel, just because the original 1081 draws more money than the original 1272's (not counting EQ here). At the most, there should be a $100 difference between the new 1272 and 1081 clones for dual channel. Unless there is something I dont understand. I just know its a rip.
I'm just not hearing it any other way. Someone is getting thier ass raped for an extra gain stage.

tubedude said:
Thanks for the info. A single channel would sell much faster arounder here, though. We DO buy nice stuff sometimes. :)

Whats the deal with the DR-S? I know thats a Phoenix, too, but you dont mention it.

Hi

That's because the DRS is produced by Phoenix Audio UK from whom we split a while back, for a variety of very good reasons that I won't mention here. I have had no input in the design, build or test of the device.

Geoff
www.auroraaudio.net

tubedude said:
Know what burns me up?
I've read the differences in circuit design between the 1272 and 1073 Neves, and it was like one gain stage difference for the most part....
heres what kills me...
all these Neve clone companies (Vintech, etc.) keep spitting out the 1272 dual preamps for around $1200-$1400, but when they make a 1081 or 1073 preamp clone they want $2000 for the single channel, just because the original 1081 draws more money than the original 1272's (not counting EQ here). At the most, there should be a $100 difference between the new 1272 and 1081 clones for dual channel. Unless there is something I dont understand. I just know its a rip.
I'm just not hearing it any other way. Someone is getting thier ass raped for an extra gain stage.

Hi

Actually, it's more like the other way around....

The circuit of a single 1272 basically consists of two transformers, six transistors, and a gain switch (which is inevitable wired in a strange fashion). Obviously there are a bundle of passive components.

Whether one considers that those parts stuck in a box with a power supply is worth $1,400 is a matter of opinion.

The 1081 is immensely more complicated than the 1272. If you ignored the fact that there are around ten amplifiers of various types, custom wound inductors and around ten times as many passive components... you have all the switches on the front panel that are custom made. It must cost a lot more than a 1272 so nobody is getting ultra shafted... it's a different beast altogether.

Geoff
www.auroraaudio.net

Back