Im the new jerk around here! Looking to get simple clean acoustic/vocals tracked.

askottawa

Hey all,

I just came across this site today, wow, its got allot of great info.

Basically i am looking for advice from all you pro's out there. my setup is as follows.

-Bed room.

-Alesis multimix 8 usb mixer,

-decent dual core computer

-Behringer C-3 mic
(http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/C-3.aspx)

-Audio techinca ATM41HE (http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/wired_mics/2b9116f40d416b8e/index.html)

- cubase

-1958 gibson J-55 acoustic.

I have been doing allllllright with trying to just get some liveish stuff done. but im just not getting that, "sound" im looking for.

has anyone used any of this gear? i havent tried any other condenser mics but this one does seem ok, im wondering if it would make a huge differance if i upgraded my vocal mic. any suggestions?

i basically use the ATM for the guit, and the Behringer for vocals.

.. im wondering if it would make a huge differance if i upgraded my vocal mic. any suggestions?

i basically use the ATM for the guit, and the Behringer for vocals.

You have couple decent mics that give you huge range of sound options. How's your recording space? Do you have a least some control over room echo?
How about the C3 at the twelfth fret and the AT on the body for stereo (or vise versa?
I noticed the C3 in fig-8 is decent 'flat. 'No-hype. That could be a very interesting warm option and a contrast to the other bright ones. Omni- no proximity effect.
Basically it depends on what it is about them is holding you back.
;)

In recording acoustic guitar there's a lot to be said for distance vs gain...so muck around with mic distance and angle from the guitar and muck around with gain settings on the preamp/ input. Spend an afternoon trialling all sorts of combos.

Also...I think it's a good tip...there's a lot to be said for low and high passing acoustic guitars once tracked. I mean, use eq to reduce the low boom and also to reduce (what I consider to be) the high frequency 'staticky', ticky, clicky, tinny, scratchy high frequency.

Depends on the context of the song and all that...

Back