I'm Still Alive and Well

I listened to the johnny winter album last night. Interesting. Hadn't listened in years.

You've come much closer. The guitar is turned up more and centerstage, vocal is better volume wise, bass sound closer to the record.
Drumming is better, but the mix is weird. Can you say "extreme stereo" drums? :)

On the record, the bass sits stage left. I don't know how close you're going for.

Overall much better but those drums are driving me nuts. (Mix wise)
:D

My drums tracks are 2 overheards, a kick drum, and a snare. I have the snare and kick dead center and the overheads panned hard left and hard right.

I guess with everything dead center the overhead tracks seem to be spread out very widely.

If it was me, I'd pull the drums back, or at least the OH mics. a wee bit and pan them less.

You could create more of a stereo field in the tune with some verb.

As i said earlier, on record the bass is panned left. That would eliminate some of the hard center effect.
You could do that, and put some subtle verb on the guitar and have it panned right (the verb) to fill out that empty spot.

I know you are focusing on the drums and drumming, but there's no need to highlight and emphasize them. The song is really all about the guitar and vocals.

But these are all nits and just my opinion Youre a one take wonder, and doing good.
:D

I think the drums are too loud now. They aren't blending with the track as well, particularly the few toms hits. They really jump out at you.

I think the drums are too loud now. They aren't blending with the track as well, particularly the few toms hits. They really jump out at you.
yeah, I haven't automated them yet. Making sure I'm satisfied with the performance before I get very detailed in mixing them.

Did you put 'verb on the drums on the latest version? I like where you're going with the more full sound on the other instruments, but it's making the drums sound a little hissy and less tight.

Did you put 'verb on the drums on the latest version? I like where you're going with the more full sound on the other instruments, but it's making the drums sound a little hissy and less tight.

Yeah I put some verb on the overheads. May need to dry them up a bit I guess.

I may be an old school guy but I do think that your initial mix is by far the better mix because...well, for lack of a better description, everything was crystal clear regardless of panning. Listening to it reminded me of the times I spent as a teenager (in the 1960s) listening to bands performing at the local YMCA gymnasium. The music was always live, honest, raw, and panning wasn't something that anyone at that time had even considered. Awesome guitar work as usual, jimi! :thumbs up:

I may be an old school guy but I do think that your initial mix is by far the better mix because...well, for lack of a better description, everything was crystal clear regardless of panning. Listening to it reminded me of the times I spent as a teenager (in the 1960s) listening to bands performing at the local YMCA gymnasium. The music was always live, honest, raw, and panning wasn't something that anyone at that time had even considered. Awesome guitar work as usual, jimi! :thumbs up:

Thanks for listening and commenting 60's guy. I thought I already responded to your post but realized I didn't. I'm old school too!

Back