I'm shopping for a new keyboard..

JCBeats

I'm thinking about getting a Roland XP10.
Its $479.97 at American Musical Supply. Does anyone else have this keyboard and are you happy with it? And can you recommend anything better for about the same price? Or has anyone seen this keyboard cheaper?

Thanks!

XP10 Don't Do It!

The XP10 is a toy compared to the other Roland keyboards and modules. It does not have aftertouch. The arpeggiator is VERy basic compared to the XP30, 50, 60, 80, XVs. It has limited expansion options. While it has some of Roland's basic soundset, it is not complete compared to any of the other modules or keyboards. This keyboard would be a replacement item within a year, EVEn if keyboard was not your main instrument.

A better solution would be to get an XP30 (check into a used one) or look for a used JV1080 module and get a MIDI keyboard controller to trigger it. Either of these options may require you saving up a little more money ($300 - $400 more), but IMO it would be money well worth saving. The XP10 is a straight-up toy. Don't even think about it!

Rev E

yes, I'm with these guys, the xp 10 isnt where its at. If you cant save up for an xp 30, or find one used heres a few other idea's that maybe you guys could pick apart since I dont own any of these boards:
yamaha cs2x- this ones tilted towards buzzy filters and techno sounds. It has that going on but its board is weak.

alesis qs 6.1- this is a much better keyboard construction and feel wise than the cs2x, but perhaps a bit on the generic side. Id take this over an xp 10 with out much thoought at all.

Roland rs 5- Its new, I have no info except roland markets it as having some xv sounds and its not expandable. Something I have learned is that roland marketing is not to be beleived, dont bite till you hear it for yourself.

Korg x5d and n5, These dont seem like they generate a whole lotta buzz, but I imagine theyre solid.

My reccomendation would be to either save for the xp 30 or try out the ones ive outlined.

Back