I'm retarded tonight...does Shinybox have a pre?

If you don"t have enough Gain in your preamp to run a Ribbon mic you could build a simple Preamp inside the Mic body it"s self to boost the Gain by up to 20db and Phantom powered so you wouldn"t need a seperate power source....

That is if you have some electroniX skills....

Cheers

Minion said:
If you don"t have enough Gain in your preamp to run a Ribbon mic you could build a simple Preamp inside the Mic body it"s self to boost the Gain by up to 20db and Phantom powered so you wouldn"t need a seperate power source....

That is if you have some electroniX skills....

Cheers

Details my friend.........

Well you could use something like this:

MicprewithTransistorfrontend.gif

But instead use lower power transistors ...The curcuit might work the way it is but at a Lower gain level and you might have to add a Zener as a Voltage regulator to get the Voltage down to 15v to 18v.....also lower the Value of the output resistors to maybe 100r so you get a Lower output impedance and Match the Transistors as best you can to each other....It would probably be best to add it after the output transformer of the Ribbon but it is possible to add it in between the Mic curcuits and the Output transformer....

Cheers

PS: I actually just realized the above circuit needs a +/- supply and Phantom only supplies + but the Circuit could be modified to run off of a single supply...

Last edited:
Back