I'm ready for some football.

Tampa - Good new coach that players respect, lots of young talent. I can see them making some noise this season.

As someone who watches quite a few NFC north games I can tell you that Lovey Smith is a coach who gets the most out of his players. The funny thing was in the same division you had Jim Schwartz who had tons of talent but always managed to get the least out of his players.

The Packers,as always,need a defense.

As someone who watches quite a few NFC north games I can tell you that Lovey Smith is a coach who gets the most out of his players. The funny thing was in the same division you had Jim Schwartz who had tons of talent but always managed to get the least out of his players.

The Packers,as always,need a defense.

I know, Lovey is very well respected and knows his shit. I hate that he's in "my" division now.

I think the Skins would've been better off with Cousins at QB and the picks they gave up for RGIII. The book still hasn't been written on him, but they paid a king's ransom for him, it would be hard for anyone to live up to that price. It was a desperation trade by a coach on the hot seat.

No doubt the trade is questionable. So far (IMO) Cousins has shown some potential - he's shown he is at least a passable backup - but guys like that are a dime a dozen in the NFL. A lot of QBs show flashes of potential, few ever actually realize it. I don't think there's any way the Skins win the division in 2012 with Cousins. RGIII did have a fucking awesome 2012 - beating out Luck and Wilson for ROTY (and rightfully so). But RGIII is going to have to do a helluva lot more than that to validate the trade. I am concerned. He seems aloof. He seems worried about his image, his brand. He's always trying to say the right thing and be PC. It comes across as superficial. He makes almost as much from endorsements as he does from the Redskins, and it shows. It's fucking annoying.

But the good part is he fucking sucked last year and in Washington DC when you suck the fans and media let you hear it. Nonstop. If that doesn't put a chip on his shoulder nothing will. So if he doesn't play well this year (qualifier: our O-line still sucks so take that into account) then he will not be long in this league.

I was thinking the same thing last night. Gee, let's make the game more exciting by allowing the offense to run around untouched. Yet let's completely stop the game for 1 minute out of every 3 so we can enforce our new penalties that supposedly make the game more exciting to watch. That'll put asses in seats! Ugh.

I fucking hate the new defensive penalty rules. It's pathetic that the league hates defense.

I was thinking the same thing last night. Gee, let's make the game more exciting by allowing the offense to run around untouched. Yet let's completely stop the game for 1 minute out of every 3 so we can enforce our new penalties that supposedly make the game more exciting to watch. That'll put asses in seats! Ugh.

I missed something... what new defensive rules?? quick summary for those of us with little attention span, please.
:)

Did they incorporate the old neighborhood rush count? 1-mississippi, 2-mississippi...

They've decided to crack down on calling defensive holding and defensive pass interference. There have been some flags thrown on some really incidental contact so far this preseason. The commentators in the game I watched last night said that the officials are being extra vigilant in the preseason to send a message about how serious they are on enforcing the rules. The thinking is that players will adjust and not need such strict enforcement in the regular season.

This is a pretty good run-down of this year's rule changes from (shudder) the Chargers SBNation blog:

2014 NFL Rule Changes - Bolts From The Blue

I only shudder because the Chargers are my Chiefs' division rivals :) They actually run a great site there, despite being hosted by SBNation. Get your AdBlock ready for a workout.

It's just another way to encourage even more passing and get scoring up. Like there isn't enough passing already.....and scoring. They're slowly but surely taking all of the power away from the defense.

They've decided to crack down on calling defensive holding and defensive pass interference. There have been some flags thrown on some really incidental contact so far this preseason. The commentators in the game I watched last night said that the officials are being extra vigilant in the preseason to send a message about how serious they are on enforcing the rules. The thinking is that players will adjust and not need such strict enforcement in the regular season.

This is a pretty good run-down of this year's rule changes from (shudder) the Chargers SBNation blog:

2014 NFL Rule Changes - Bolts From The Blue

I only shudder because the Chargers are my Chiefs' division rivals :) They actually run a great site there, despite being hosted by SBNation. Get your AdBlock ready for a workout.

Basically, don't touch the receiver until he has the ball. And even then, be sure to have your lawyer present.

Basically, don't touch the receiver until he has the ball. And even then, be sure to have your lawyer present.

It's fucked up because by rule a defender has every right to a thrown ball that the intended receiver has. While tracking a receiver, it's been taught for years that as long as the DB has his head turned and is playing the ball and not the man, some contact is allowed. WRs aren't supposed to shove away and push off either, but that gets called about one tenth as much a def holding or pass interference, and will now probably be called even less. It's bullshit that they don't allow defenses to play defense. Even with all things being equal, the offense naturally has all the advantages. They have a plan. They have routes, and assignments. The defense is strictly reactive. They can only guess at what's coming and must react. The only advantage a defense has is brute physicality, and it's slowly being taken away.

Oh, and I really doubt RG3 will make it through the season. That boy does not know how to slide.

Yup. This is his third season, the excuses are over and the kid gloves are off. He needs to make better decisions and learn to protect himself otherwise he's not going to be in the NFL for very long. On the bright side he did look faster than last year.

---------- Update ----------

2nd game of his career and Manziel is already flipping people the bird. :laughings:

Orakpo was saying that it was all pretty funny. They were giving Manziel a hard time on the field.

Yup. This is his third season, the excuses are over and the kid gloves are off. He needs to make better decisions and learn to protect himself otherwise he's not going to be in the NFL for very long. On the bright side he did look faster than last year.

It's just amazing to me that he physically can't slide. The guy is an elite athlete. He has a baseball background, right? How can he not execute a fucking slide even when he tries? It's crazy. He needs to go spend some time running bases with the Nationals.

I really want to see RG3 succeed, seems like a nice enough guy, but i am afraid he won't stay healthy in this league the way he plays.

as far as johnny foosball, he's an asshat and always has been. he has skill, it remains to be seen if/how that will translate to the NFL. i am thinking not.

Back