I'm racking my brain! Help!

mrbwnstn

Arrg, I can't decide which $500 mic to choose. Check this out!

I’m racking my brain here. I need to pick up the following gear, but I live in a remote area, so A/Bing this gear isn’t possible. I know my ear will tell me if I like something or not, but I have to buy most of my gear online, so I don’t really have that option, unless I use a LOT of time and shipping costs. Plus I’m limited on funds right now (I’ve sunk all my money into building my studio). Please let me know your honest opinions…

So I’m in the market for two things: a new vocal mic and monitors. I’ve got $500 to spend on a mic. I’m looking for the best mic that is versatile for male and female vocals, is balanced and clear, and would work well for other acoustical instruments.

I’ve narrowed down my search to the following mic’s…

1) Blue Bluebird
2) Rode NTK
3) Shure KSM32

Bluebird
I’ve heard great things about the high end Blue Kiwi and Cactus mic’s. They have a good reputation for high-quality parts and sound. (although I guess there is some controversy about if they are now being built in China?) However, the Bluebird is the low end of the Blue selection. Plus it doesn’t have any ability to alter cardioid patterns or replace the diaphragm like the other models. Also, I haven’t noticed many people using this mic.

Rode NTK
I have a couple of recording buddies who own Rode NT1000’s and they sound great for a lot of applications. They seem very flat and clear, and always bring whatever is recorded with them to the front of the mix. I haven’t heard a recording with the NTK’s but it is a valve mic which I think would give an even greater rounded tone. Also, I’ve noticed a LOT of the people on this board use the NTK and K2 mic’s.

Shure KSM32
Then there is the Shure KSM32. I’ve never heard any recordings with this mic, but I’ve read a lot of good reviews. (Especially the new review in the latest Recording Magazine). It seems the most versatile of these mic’s and I’m familiar with the Shure line. I think this mic may be the most versatile for other acoustical instruments also.

--------

Then my next conundrum is my new monitors. I found a deal on some KRK V6 monitors that I can pick up for about $270 each. However, I love the features on the new V8II series with the built in filters to adjust to the room. Also, from what I’ve read and heard from others, the low end response on the V8II’s is an accurate representation where as the V6II’s are recommended to pick up the KRK sub. Has anyone used both of the speakers? Do you have any opinion on these speakers?

My gut is telling me to pick up the V8’s, but it’ll cost me an additional $250 that I was wanting to put toward a GT The Brick.

Arrrgg. I can’t decide what to do. Any opinions would be great!!!!

Last edited:
From that list, KSM32, or try to score a good used KSM44, that gets you multipattern. I have the Baby Bottle which is nice but a specialty mic. The Bluebird is supposed to be more all-around, but nobody here seems to rave about it. So I say go for the 32.

the 32 is flatter than the 44, so it'll probably be more useful all around (or so i've heard)

this is just a personal philosophy, but i don't like monitors with built in eq, it makes me wonder what they did wrong with cabinet/speaker design.

and as far as pre's, everyone around here raves about the fmr RNP (really nice pre)

i think it's about the same price as the brick, but 2 channels.
http://mercenaryaudio.com/fmraudio.html

Thanks for your comments!

Thanks for the comments guys. I actually just read a GREAT article in Recording magazine on "The Holy Grail of Microphones." Did anyone else read it? It talks about the developement of the Neumann and AKG mic's. It talked about the Dual Capsule technology which is found in the KSM44's. Anyone else read it? Great article.

Get each the mics with the understanding that two will be returned for credit. I'm with you though on trying and returning speakers- adds up to some serious shipping as soon as you get out of the stuff typically found at the local shops.
Wayne

Back