I'm picking up a Senny

flamin-gitaur

........MD421 brand new for $180 (oh yeah), I can also get a brand new e609 for $45, but my question is, if I have the 421, will I even need a 609? I'm planning on using the MD421 along with my SM57 for my Marshall cabs. How well will the e609 compliment the MD421 or SM57 or as a stand alone mic?

So, where are you getting these spectacular deals, and can you hook up some of your fellow hr.com members?

So, where are you getting these spectacular deals, and can you hook up some of your fellow hr.com members?

I know someone who works for Sennheiser, that's the only reason I can get them cheap, althought I don't think I would be able to buy more than a few mic's at this price.

I use the 609 and I like it, but I don't think it is drastically different from a 57.
Wow, what? The 57 and 421 are way closer in sound than the 57 and 609. I have all three and I would never mistake the 609 for a 57....ever.

Flamin guitar, which 609 are you looking at? The silver one is very much brighter than the black original. In any case they're all useful mics and at those prices you can't go wrong. Where the hell are you getting a 421 for $180??

So in your opinion, what do you think makes a better pair, of the three, 57,609,421, in terms of recording heavy rock/metal stuff?

So in your opinion, what do you think makes a better pair, of the three, 57,609,421, in terms of recording heavy rock/metal stuff?
They are all interchangeable, not necessarily complimentary. The 421 and 57 are the most useful mics of the three in that order.

They are all interchangeable, not necessarily complimentary. The 421 and 57 are the most useful mics of the three in that order.

That's what my undnerstanding is, I know they work well together, so I'll probably stick with getting the 421, and letting the 609 go for now.

Wow, what? The 57 and 421 are way closer in sound than the 57 and 609. I have all three and I would never mistake the 609 for a 57....ever.

Flamin guitar, which 609 are you looking at? The silver one is very much brighter than the black original. In any case they're all useful mics and at those prices you can't go wrong. Where the hell are you getting a 421 for $180??

Its been the general opinion I've gotten from people here... never used the 57 myself - went straight for the 609 :p Good to know they have a distinctly different sound.

Man i wish i had a 421. Will probably be the next dynamic I buy. I have come e604's, which is really a tom mic, but I kinda use where I might use a 421, like on a guitar cab. We just recorded at a place called spaceway studios where our engineer used the 421 in the inside of a kick drum pointed off axis at the beater, with a beta 52 on the outside close to the skin. He also used it on guitar cabs, with the 421 on one speaker and a 57 on the other, and also on a bass cab

Man i wish i had a 421. Will probably be the next dynamic I buy. I have come e604's, which is really a tom mic, but I kinda use where I might use a 421, like on a guitar cab. We just recorded at a place called spaceway studios where our engineer used the 421 in the inside of a kick drum pointed off axis at the beater, with a beta 52 on the outside close to the skin. He also used it on guitar cabs, with the 421 on one speaker and a 57 on the other, and also on a bass cab
The e604 is surprisingly close to a 421 in some regards. On a bass or guitar cabinet it's almost as smooth and has plenty of low end though maybe not quite as much as a 421 set on "M". The 604 is a great budget instrument mic.

Back