I'm not a bass player but I play one on TV . . . I mean my recordings

Mountaineer

I'm getting tired of my cheapo bass going out of tune and have decided to buy a new cheapo, limited to $500 anyway. Help me decide between these three.

1) Ibanez SR400 with active P-J pickups, maple body and rosewood fretboard, natural finish - $440

2)Schecter "Robert DeLeo" Model-T, P-J Duncans, Ash body and maple fretboard, brownburst finish - $499

3) Mexican Fender Precision deluxe with P-J pickups, maple fretboard, brownburst finish - $489

I'm leaning toward the Schecter because it looks cool as hell. Anyone have one of these ? I want the P-J pickups for tone versitility and prefer a maple fretboard for more funky twang. Any advice from the bass experts? Thanks !

PAPicker

I have an Ibanez SR885,but it's a 5 string,but for the money the Ibanez basses give good bang for buck.You should also try to check out the Yamaha BB and RBX basses,also good value for the price.For around $500 you could get the RBX760 which is a classy bass with active electronics.

I think I'd go with the MFP - if it was set up right you'd be happy with it. I don't know about the Schecter - I tend to stay away from the signature models (and also "look" won't have anything to do with how it sounds). I have a couple of the Ibanez ATK series, and am pretty impressed with their tone for basses which cost me less than $500 (both used, BTW) - have you though of getting a used bass? - you might get better value that way..

Hope this helps -

-Wil

I came VERY close to getting a MIM Precision Deluxe, and the P-J combo was the main reason. For a "cheap bass" I thought it played very well and sounded great. I didn't try the Schecter, so I can't comment on it. I did look at some lower end Soundgears (SR 400, 480, 405, 485). They played about as easily as my guitar, but I didn't like the sound as much as the Fender. Between the Ibanez and Fender I'd say Fender.

For a long time I went back and forth between the Precision Deluxe and the Jazz Deluxe. There was also the ESP LTD B-204, which really surprised me (mostly because I'm not a metal head). I finally ended up with the Jazz Deluxe V ($509, but only a gig bag) and it was the variety of sound I got from the 3-way EQ that did it for me. But if I remember correctly the J Deluxe is not available with a maple fretboard, so the P Deluxe would probably be a better fit for you.

Have fun playing them all, hear and feel for yourself, and go with your gut reaction, regardless of what that is. My gut reaction was toward the Fenders, but I bought the ESP mostly because it was a little bit different (not as common). I really liked it, but I loved the Fenders. In the end, I finally went with the one that really did it for me and I'm happier now.

I have a Schecter bass which was made when they were a specialty "chop shop" in the 80's.
Now it appears they have gone the way of Fender, making cheap basses for mass consumption.
My Schecter is an amazing bass, but that is a bass made from the days of craftsmanship.
I'd go with the Ibanez.
DJ

Thanks for the input, guys. I'm still not decided yet, but I'll probably go with the Fender. I live in the stix so there aren't any music stores around. Maybe in a week or so I'll get to the big city of Williamsport ( home of little league ball ). There's a store there that has all brands, if you can afford them . . . I'll just have to try and keep my wife away from that $125,000 Steinway while I test drive um.

Regards,
PAPicker

Peavey

Check out the Peavey Basses I'v used one for 5 years now and it's a tought little begger. It also has the fastest neck of all the basses I'v used over my 35 years of playing. Later, Donny!!!

Check Dean basses out

PaPaker,
I bought a Dean "Edge" series four string bass on recommendation from Musicmakers in Austin, Tx about 3 years ago, they sell to lots of top names in Austin. I have owned some of the better Fenders, including a custom jazz and a fender lite or two. Great instruments of course, but for 350.00 including a hardshell case I got decent quality and good sound from EMG pickups ,Grover tuners, and rosewood fingerboard. Its quiet and the action is great, stays in tune, i play for 5 hours straight many times at gigs....never have to retune. I use a Metro combo amp by David Eden and the Dean sounds killer. We play everything from Beatles , Doobies, ZZTOP, to top country and Hootie and BF...all musial styles and I use the Dean all the way thru. Dean is an old company actually, they have made guitars for years. Here is the webpage if you want to check it outhttp://www.deanguitars.com/basses/edge_1.html
I dont work for them, but you can tell I like my bass.haha
They are sold in Musicians Friend online too as well as Guitar Center.
Best of luck....Mknight

My $.02
AVOID FENDER W/ ACTIVE!!!
I've had 4 PBasses, 3 passive, sounded great.
The active sounded great in the store on the little Peavey TKO's or whatever they were. Got it home to my Trace Elliot, and it sounded like crap. They overboosted the bottom end, and it sounded like a kazoo if you tried to bring it in.
Jeff

as far as keeping in tune,get a fender or even a squire.you can smack the sh*t out of 'em and they will stay in tune,a funky twangy tone the jazz.with a $500 you can easily get a great playing/sounding bass,even the new custom fenders with pickup combinations from the p-bass and the jazz,so you got the best of both worlds.the other basses you mention,don't stay in tune as well.the standard fenders cost 299$ a fairly decent deal.and that guy is right about active fenders,if you want active e.q.s,do the wiring yourself,and the outcome is more rewrding.that is ,of course,if you plan on getting that serious about tone.passive tends to do the trick,most of the time.no frills

Quick Idea

Hey,
I know I could come under fire for this, but.
If you like the sound of your bass but it womt stay in tune.
Why not get new tuners and a graphite nut and save yourself some money?
Just a thought.
-Reco

If I may add my .02, the Fender Mex Std P-bass sells for 299.00 at Sam Ash. I own a '78 P-bass an American-STD Jazz
and a Squire P-bass.
Just 1 thing about the Squier, It is smooth has a fast action neck,semi-locking tune keys and decent P-style p/up's. I bought this bass from Sam Ash for only 160.00 and it's just as good (and cheaper)than th Mex-Std P-bass.
Mr.Q

Thanks to all for the input. I took the plunge today !! After finding this little Fender dealer in Elmira, NY, I played everthing from squires to artists series. Today I ordered a P-Bass special ( arctic white w/tortoise shell pickguard & with maple fretboard).

The interesting thing is that the music store was willing to A) include the different pickguard at no extra charge.
B) include a hardshell fender case for $40 extra
C) set it up to my liking when I pick it up
All this at a cost less than anywhere I could find on the Internet . . . yes, that's right ! A total of $492 including New York taxes ! It's Ebay time for my junker bass.

Oh, one other thing . . . there was this American Telecaster with a sunburst finish and maple neck that I sort of became attached to . . . he's holding it for me. $725 with hardshell case. The best price I can find for this thing is $809 without the case. Does this sound like a deal ? Thanks.

PAPicker

Sorry to be a pest, but for some reason my last reply to this post didn't bring it to the top ??? I repeat my last question :

Oh, one other thing . . . there was this American Telecaster with a sunburst finish and maple neck that I sort of became attached to . . . he's holding it for me. $725 with hardshell case. The best price I can find for this thing is $809 without the case. Does this sound like a deal ? Thanks.

PAPicker

Back