I'm New To This

Homework

I'm using Sonar Power Studio 660 with the FireWire interface, and I can only seem to record onto either the right channel or the left channel, depending on which of the two inputs I use on the front panel. Can someone help me with the reasons for that?

Thanks

I'll cut to the chase: If your source (in this case, a single microphone?) is mono, you should record to a mono track. Then you use the mono track's pan control to position that sound on your stereo soundstage when you mix the song.

Don

The instrument in question is a guitar, but I imagine it's giving me the same problem that a mic would.

Would you mind telling me how to switch a track to a mono setting? I looked around but couldn't find how to do this.

Thanks

.. Would you mind telling me how to switch a track to a mono setting? I looked around but couldn't find how to do this.

Thanks
In Sonar (Power' the same?) when you assign the record input from the drop-down box on the track you likely have 'L, 'R, and 'Stereo versions to pick from each of a given pair available from your sound card.
Now, whether this track is a 'stereo or mono track', it will record either a single wave in the center of the track pane (if a mono 'L or 'R' is selected), or a pair of wave forms if the 'stereo input was selected.
What's missing here -is when you 'Insert New Audio', what causes a new track to be stereo' or mono.
(I should know this, done it before, but for the life can't pull that one out.. :rolleyes: :)

Last edited:
This is relevant from the help doc- what the 'Stereo- Mono button does -routing through effects insert, and playback..

-- Changing Tracks' Mono/Stereo Status --

SONAR has a mono/stereo button in each track module in the Track and Console views. The buttons in the track modules force each track to play in either stereo or mono, but preserve the tracks' pan positions in the stereo mix.

The Mono/Stereo button in each track forces the track's audio signal to enter any patched plug-ins as either mono or stereo, whether or not the tracks are mono or stereo. This allows you to use either mono effects on a stereo track or stereo effects on a mono track.

Note: You may lose important stereo data by using mono effects with stereo tracks because your stereo tracks are summed to mono in order to pass through the effect. If you never want your stereo data to be summed to mono, select stereo.

To Use a Track's Stereo/Mono Button
Display the Track view or Console view.
In the track you want to force to either mono or stereo for processing effects, click the Stereo/Mono button to the desired position:
Speaker icon pointing left-- This choice means that you manually selected mono for this track.
Speaker icon pointing left and right (as pictured above)--This choice means that you manually selected stereo for this track.

I'll cut to the chase: If your source (in this case, a single microphone?) is mono, you should record to a mono track. Then you use the mono track's pan control to position that sound on your stereo soundstage when you mix the song.

Don

And if you want to put a stereo plugin in the effect bin of that track do you have to then set that track's interleave to stereo?

Similarly, if you send that track to a bus that has a stereo plugin in its effects bin, should you set the original track's interleave to stereo?

I guess you don't have to...but is it wise to?

Which are the stereo plugins in Sonar?

This interleave thing makes my brain hurt

And if you want to put a stereo plugin in the effect bin of that track do you have to then set that track's interleave to stereo?

Similarly, if you send that track to a bus that has a stereo plugin in its effects bin, should you set the original track's interleave to stereo?

I guess you don't have to...but is it wise to?

Which are the stereo plugins in Sonar?

This interleave thing makes my brain hurt
If it helps- think of the track, busses, are all 'stereo (dual linked paths, whatever). It's the content that differers. Start with a mono recorded track, little triangle icon says 'mono. Stick a stereo clip in that same track, it shifts to double-triangle. Same same.

I see some plugs show up as having both versions, but maybe except for forcing 'stereo content to mono or some such(?) mostly skip the whole worry and let'em be 'stereo?

I record mono acoustic guitar, vocals...maybe a shaker. Usually I will have some effect plugin...Sonitus Reverb. the Sonitus Eq...so pretending that I was never to use a plugin anywhere...I should have interleave off, do you think that's right?

But at the point where I want to use 'stereo plugins'....that's when I need to have interleave on, right...that's when the interleave button comes into play?

It's because of the plugins right?

No, I think generally you just ignore it. The path is mono or dual-capable, but it's automatic. You have mono content, what's to do? It doesn't care. Mono content passes through. You put a verb plug in, you get your mono track with stereo verb on it. Put an eq one it? That same eq serves mono or stereo content.
Read post 6 again..
From Sonar help--
The Mono/Stereo button in each track forces the track's audio signal to enter any patched plug-ins as either mono or stereo, whether or not the tracks are mono or stereo. This allows you to use either mono effects on a stereo track or stereo effects on a mono track.
And 20, 23 here.
http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1586221&mpage=1&key=?
If you want to force 'stereo to mono (for some reason) then...
Even if you force mono content to 'dual paths' in a plug what do we get? Unless there is some difference between L and R?
MONO.

Yeah...thanks mixsit. Sorry but I'm one of those people who finds a lot of manual sort of explanation kind of like the old "if 3 people got on the bus in Albuquerque but only 2 of those people traveled on the bus for more than 3 stops, and 4 more people got on the bus in Pittsburg than did in San Antonio, how many people...."

I basically understand. Maybe I should just leave the interleave button on all the time...since the key word seems to be 'either' in the case of the manual explanation.

Back