Im new here....SO BE NICE!

joeydego said:
I need feedback (no pun intended) on recorded stuff, what will make it sound bigger? Anything to improve on will be appriciated. www.soundclick.com/joeydego

Welcome in!

We don't actually have to be nice, and many won't, but I will... :) Listening to Circles V...

What will make this sound bigger? Well, a bass guitar would be a great start. A more rock-sounding drum kit would be a big help too.

You've really god some great chops, and a good sensibility for the genre; it's pretty apparent that you're equipment limited at the moment. So, it's a little hard to come to definitive conclusions without remedying the basics; a full band's worht of instruments.

Damn sure not your playing though! Great shreds!

I agree with having a bass and some drums more suited to the genre. Guitars could use some fattening too, to my ears. Welcome to the trap!

Maybe start with a fatter drum sound and work around that.

this was done using a zoom 1608, will the drum get any better with more tweeking? Will an external drum machine sound much better?

joeydego said:
this was done using a zoom 1608, will the drum get any better with more tweeking? Will an external drum machine sound much better?

You could make it fatter but it won't rock any harder.. :)

A dedicated drum computer will usually net you good results, yes. But the lack of a bass is actually the bigger issue..

thats funny, ive been looking at a few basses in the 2 to 3 hundred dollar range. Any suggestions on a stand alone drum machine or outboard effects I should go with next??? Maybe a few more months tinkering with this thing is in order.

Shred and Hand Drums - just finished listening to this one....You have some great licks there man - reminds me of Jeff Beck with that whammy bar work.... Looks from your photos that you use an Ibanez - what model?
Llarion is right about the bass - adding one would beef this up a bit....
You have a good mix going now, good one.....

joeydego said:
thats funny, ive been looking at a few basses in the 2 to 3 hundred dollar range. Any suggestions on a stand alone drum machine or outboard effects I should go with next??? Maybe a few more months tinkering with this thing is in order.
Do we ever stop tinkering with our mixes LOL .......

the ibanez in that pic is a 1990 Universe green multi color, pretty rare and autographed by the master, Vai. Shred and hand drums was me getting used to my new RG 2027. Thanks for listening.

Great playing. With a bass and good sounding drums, it will be awesome.

Hi & welcome,
Circles sounds like a version of the Eye of the Tiger INtro - sorry.
Shred & hand drums - sounds better some nice playing - you'll have to do a lot to tweak the drums - EQ, verb, panning to get around the failings of the source.
Bass guitar - a real with a real bassists is the most urgent requirement.
I much prefer the sounds on this to the, dare I say it - GENERIC - shred of Circles.
I could actually hear your talent & licks. Nicely played.
One of the guitars on Mindless actually sounds old school metal I liked until the solo took off into handy land & took over the song.
If you're going to play LONG solos listen to some one like J Masic or the fellow from Buffalo Tom - interest as opposed to fill.
Anyway - back to the music - BASS & DRUMS - hit eBay there are MILLIONS of Drum machines. Get one you can afford - OR get someone who can play drums & bounce off them.
Cheers
rayC

Welcome Joey! :)

I agree. Great playing, but in need of a more complete soundscape. I am in the market for a bass as well, so I know that tune. And I think Drum Kit From Hell might be useful for you given the genre.

Shred on! :D

joeydego said:
I have a Boss DR-660 and it's great for this kind of thing. Bet you could eBay one for $100.

1 - cool song

2 - using samples like the Drumkit From Hell Superior or BFD XL will give you way better results than any stand alone drum machine, but you need a halfway decent computer to run them..

3 - I think the reverb may be muddying up the guitars a bit.. you'll need more space in the bottom to fit the bass guitar.. some low eq cuts are needed..

4 - the acoustic guitar could use come compression or lower volume

5 - cool song

thanks, still lookin for a 200 dollar bass, what is drumkit from hell, where do i buy it and how much?? I think hand drums song has to get the award for the longest reverb ever recorded! (i know thats not a good thing), what will compression do for the acoustic( which there arent any, all those were done on electric with a piezo) how fast of a computer do I need for those programs?

affordable, however my computer wont do it :( looks like an awesome program for down the line though, I think Id be able to use these samples in my zoom 1608, right?Maybe I can just get sample files, upload them into my zoom, and use it that way? this program requires 35 gigs, which I only have about 6 of, and comes on DVDS which my computer doesnt have. samples however on a cd would work, any suggestions???

joeydego said:
this program requires 35 gigs, which I only have about 6 of, and comes on DVDS which my computer doesnt have. samples however on a cd would work, any suggestions???

there are way too many to name, but I wouldn't buy anything until you upgrade your computer.. all the good stuff requires a halfway decent computer, and almost any new computer is good enough to get in the game.. even a very cheap 'new' one will come with an 80GB hard drive and probably a dvd player.. that's the first thing I would do..

TravisinFlorida said:
a program like bfd or dfh requires alot of ram and a dedicated hard drive to get the best performance out of it.

yeah but it's not 'required' right off the bat for basic use.. I do agree with you about 'best' performance though..

from the DFHS site

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:

MINIMUM:
32 Gb of free hard disc space*, DVD drive, display capable of 1024x768
Windows 98/ME/2000/XP, PIII/Athlon 500 MHz with 512 Mb RAM
Mac OS X 10.2, G3 500 MHz with 512 Mb RAM • A software sequencer or virtual instrument host

RECOMMENDED:
7200 rpm hard drive with 40 Gb of available space, DVD drive, display capable of 1024x768 • Windows XP or better, PIII/Athlon 1.8 GHz with 1 Gb RAM • Mac OS 10.3.9 or higher, G4 1.25 GHz with 1 Gb RAM • A sequencer or virtual instrument host capable of handling multiple outputs • A high quality audio soundcard with ASIO or CoreAudio driver • A midi interface and external controller such as keyboard, drum pads or electronic drumkit

Back