I'm nearly done with HS... now what?

ProJect

Hey,

I've been a musician for ages, but have started getting into the recording business for the last two years. I was planning on going to Full Sail, but recently realized it's a big waste of money. So, here I am about to graduate with $26,000 or so. I've been reccommended going to SAE or simply taking a recording arts certification course and learning the rest from working in studios. When I graduate, I'm most likely going to receive a nice Mac laptop. Should I turn this sucker into a mini recording base and go solo? Should I instead look for jobs in studios? Either way, I'm going to have somewhat of a personal recording setup. I have a Korg D16 that I use with a Mackie 12 channel, an AT3035 and 2 MXL 603's. This setup really works for me, but I feel my sound quality could go up. Should I go with crappy quality while making money serving coffee at studios, or build up my quality and try to make a name for myself? Oh... no matter what, I'll get a job at a studio. I am good friends with some rock and roll royalty. They say if I get the skills, they'll hook me up with a job. What school should I go to? What should I do after school? My main goal is to someday be a producer and have enough money to live a simple life. I am not in it for fame or fortune... just to be able to do what I love and get enough money to afford a nice apartment. Sorry if this is kinda rambling, but I'm quasi-freaking out about what I am going to do after High School. I have a band that has a really good reputation in my town. It's no ordinary high school band... could I possibly use this to get studios to take a further look at me? I know I have talents in music and it's what I love to do... I just dont wanna end up not being able to do it and in some gutter on the street :(

So... my main point. Who out there has made it and how did you start? Was it solo or as an artist or maybe just the guy who goes to get coffee?

Connor

a 2 year technical degree in audio engineering from ANY college is more than you'll ever need. Studio experience is the most important thing, for sure.

Furthermore, the more hookups you have in the industry, the better.

Oh... I have hookups. No doubts about that. I just need to learn the skills otherwise, I'll end up looking like a fool.

Back