I'm looking for collaborators

Apple

Here's my problem. I'm looking for people of similar ability to work with in the Atlanta area. Even just a songwrites critiqueing group. I write lyrics and music and play several instruments and have a decent voice. I've had songs on the radio and I also have a fairly nice studio. Every time I put an ad in the paper looking for collaborators all I get are inquiries from lyricists who can't write music. Or someone who is really just interested in free studio time. Or someone who isn't able to listen objectively. (like my brother-if he personally doesn't like it, it's bad. It would be nice if he liked it but that's not the point and you writers know what I mean.). I write in whatever style and I do submit to publishers. I occasionally write something that is very good and others thinks so too. Very often, I'm not 100 percent sure and I'm sure it could be better with a second opinion. I guess I'm looking for someone who is very mature, committed and has a similar background and is at the point i am. the last guy that came over drank a bottle of schnapps in the hour or two that we talked. 11am on a Saturday is a little early to get started for me and I'm not looking for that intense of an artist to work with. (He said he was 30 and looked like he was 50). Having people come through my studio with their songs to record, I've noticed that, for me, it's not a question of whether I like or relate to something. I'm listening for that out of place chord, or whether it sounds like something I've heard before. (If it goes by me without any displeasure I know i might come to like it.) Very often, I've thought, not bad. Twice, I've thought wow. Most writers i run into are strictly into their own thing and not able to question anything they do. And i was like that when i first started writing.

apple,

I feel your pain. Finding collaborators/writing partners is very, very hard.

As you point out either they really can't contribute much, or they only want free recording for "their material" or they don't show up when agreed, etc.

I've tried some "long distance" partnerships, but that doesn't seem to work (at least for me). I need the energy of someone in the room to bounce things off of.

I wish you luck in your search.

I've relpied to everyone-I think

I'm not sure if I did it the right way, but I replied to everyone with the private messages. Thanks. Anyway, for those not in the Atlanta area, if you ever want to exchange stuff, let me know.

Back