I'm looking for a new audio interface

guitarpat

I'm looking for a new interface that has at least 4 inputs. I like what I see on the Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 Audio Interface on Guitar Center's website. I like the fact that it has 4 inputs with preamps right on the front panel, at least that's what it looks like in the photo. Before I make a purchase, I was wanting to get some feedback from anyone who is familiar with this unit. I have a small (extra bedroom) hobby studio, mainly just recording my own music. Mostly vocals, guitar and bass. Is there anything thing better for me in this price range? under $350.00?

Well that's an important point. If you move to Tascam you will have to forfeit DSP software advantages and even Scarlett's Mix Control isn't up to speed like the Audio box VSL software. The Tascam will offer more I/O and the Scarlett better preamps and converters but also consider the functionality you might lost by switching companies.

If losing DSP advantages is bothersome, it may be best to wait until you can afford to switch to within the Audio box range or move to another company like MOTU or Steinberg that will have similar DSP capabilities.

No I am referring to the included DSP software that has signal processing options and soforth. I thought the 22VSL had that but maybe yours is an older model.

Maybe it was supposed to have software, I bought it used. Anyway, it doesn't matter now, I just purchased a mint used one on ebay for 275. I think it's the one I want. I will let you know how it works. Thanks for the advise.
Pat

Yeah it"s funny, When I used my condenser mic with the Presonus, I had to turn the gain all the way down, and the mic was still hot. I couldn't get very close to it without it clipping. With the Focusrite. I have my gain at about 30% and I can get much closer giving me a fuller tone. Huge difference!

If you move to Tascam you will have to forfeit DSP software advantages

Can you go into a bit more detail here? Does the Tascam not have drivers? Just curious as i have been eyeing that interface for sometime. If it doesn't have native ASIO drivers, that is a deal breaker.

Oops sorry for the delay. Surely it does have dedicated ASIO drivers (that would be something to find out) but rest assured that it won't have a complex DSP routing system like Focusrite or Presonus, due to advances in technology since the Tascam's release.

Back