I'm looking for a good starter vocal mic for under $300 USD - is it possible?

MK300 shows 35mv/pa...thats a sensitive mic, where the Warm47JR is 10mv/pa... MK300 and WA47JR have the multipattern if thats important.
I know in my below avg acoustic treatment the super sensitive mics can hear more further away than I prefer. I'd go with the WARMJR, lower sensitivity (and Im up close on the mics.) YMMV...

I found 8mv/pa is great ~ 15mv/pa seems to work ok, with LDC's in this "below average " treated room.
8~15mv I dont really need outboard preamp.

I actually never used the multipatterns, but thats a big design option if you want that ability. MK300 at $199 special is pretty amazing prices.
It doesn't beat the MXL Revelation with a ~40mv/pa. That MXL entry level tube mic is so strong it is impressive. If you like that sort of thing.

Miktek MK300 for $199 seems like a no-brainer. There's just a few left at Amazon. (It did still show up for that price at Reverb in Google search, but not when actually following the link.) So tempting, but I'd have to get rid of something, and not sure that's a decision I want to make right now. Leaning more toward upgrading my SDC pair, if I do anything...

Plus, I just had to order chlorine tabs and shock for the pool - jeepers $$$. It was bad enough after the bad freeze back in Feb. knocked out a couple of plants in LA, and now they're down again because of IDA. Stunning prices. Ready to have them fill the dang thing in. But, I digress...

I will list my equipment and then my goals:

Equipment:
  • Windows 10 computer i3 with 8 GB RAM
  • Reaper (latest version) DAW
  • Focusrite 4i4 Audio Interface Gen 3

Goals:
  • Vocal mic that could be used for micing a guitar amp speaker (although I plan to go direct with guitars most of the time)
  • (More interested in the vocal capabilities at this time)
  • Not USB, I would prefer to plug directly into the Focusrite with an XLR connector
  • Durable and time-tested etc.

As I mentioned above, I would like a good vocal mic. I have thought about a Shure SM57 but am willing to pay up to around $300 USD or thereabout for a good starter mic, Does anyone have any ideas considering these goals and equipment?

I tend to be a rather strong vocalist, but I can back off if I need to. A front large diapragm mic maybe, or can I get a lot out of an SM 57? My style of music is anywhere from pop to heavy metal and most everything in between.

Thanks for any replies!
Beyerdynamic TG V70d

Plus, I just had to order chlorine tabs and shock for the pool - jeepers $$$. It was bad enough after the bad freeze back in Feb. knocked out a couple of plants in LA, and now they're down again because of IDA. Stunning prices. Ready to have them fill the dang thing in. But, I digress...
I'll trade your swimming pool and chlorine tabs for my two root canals and crown work..... 😬

I decided to just wait and probably will get the Warm47jr. There's no rush. I haven't been doing any recording since I have been babysitting my daughter's 2 dogs since Mothers Day. One is a beagle/hound mix, and he will bark at the most inopportune time.

I'll trade your swimming pool and chlorine tabs for my two root canals and crown work..... 😬

I decided to just wait and probably will get the Warm47jr. There's no rush. I haven't been doing any recording since I have been babysitting my daughter's 2 dogs since Mothers Day. One is a beagle/hound mix, and he will bark at the most inopportune time.
Ha. I’ll raise you two dental implants for the wife!

The 47jr gets a lot of good reviews. There are a fair number on the used market which has tempted me. But I’ve been staring at the Roswell (micparts.com guy) stuff for a while and their mini 47 or 87 look interesting. But, like I said, I’m leaning more toward SDCs for what I see myself doing. Those WA-84s look nice, though, a mic-parts 84 (pair) kit could keep me busy in the garage for a while once it cools off.

I'm ok with SDCs. I have the pair of CAD 1200XLs that came as the overheads in a drum pack, two AKG P170s (which I quite like), RODE M5 set, and about a year and a half ago, I grabbed the Lauten LA120s for a really good price. That pair has both omni and cardioid capsules. Not as quiet as the P170s or M5s, but the sound is nice.

I've looked at the Roswell stuff, but the mini 47 is cardioid only, and I was looking for a multipattern mic. I've already got a V67G and an NT1, plus my old Studio Projects B3s and MXL992. The few comparisons of the 47jr sounded pretty good to me, has quality components and its not insanely expensive.

It would be nice if I worked someplace where I could just play with them without buying. I hate the idea of ordering stuff and then sending it back.

I'm looking at the Miktek MK300. I missed the sale, but this maybe my next purchase.

For anyone who was considering the WA47Jr, there was a $50 price drop this week at places like Sweetwater and MF/GC. I decided to go ahead and order one since I can't seem to get anyone to paint the front porch and trim around the garage door. I'll do it myself. $80 in paint, a couple of brushes and a few afternoons not playing golf will probably save me twice what the mic costs.

In stock at Sweetwater, should be here by Friday.

Shure SM57: One is never enough. 😉

If you know of anyone looking for a good Large Diaphragm Condenser Mic, please share my info. Bob G.

I've been away from this site and audio recording for almost 10 years and I find it humorous and comforting that just about nothing has changed. V67g is still a great budget pick, sm57/58 are still the standards go-to's.

...... and loads of suggestions are now long gone. No staying power. My first 57 was in 1976 and it's one of the half dozen or so I have - and I have no idea which one!

Back