I'm in a remix contest and need opinions!

Amazing how that works, huh???? Every time someone says something about not getting any help here, it always turns out that they haven't posted much to help anyone either.

.....and I like The Propman. He has contributed quite a bit here over the years..... I'm just sayin.......

Now, having said that, I can see where he's coming from when it comes to posting. I often go a long time between listening to other people's stuff. Then, when I post something of my own, I feel that if I start going through the forum commenting on other people's stuff, it will look as if I'm only doing it so that people will post in my thread. Sort of damned if you do, damned if you don't.

So, what I do is start commenting on other people's stuff a day before I think my song will be ready. :D

Lol. You guys put too much effort into being sneaky bastards. I wear my assholeness proudly like a fucking giant sombrero. :D

Amazing how that works, huh???? Every time someone says something about not getting any help here, it always turns out that they haven't posted much to help anyone either.

.....and I like The Propman. He has contributed quite a bit here over the years..... I'm just sayin.......

Now, having said that, I can see where he's coming from when it comes to posting. I often go a long time between listening to other people's stuff. Then, when I post something of my own, I feel that if I start going through the forum commenting on other people's stuff, it will look as if I'm only doing it so that people will post in my thread. Sort of damned if you do, damned if you don't.

So, what I do is start commenting on other people's stuff a day before I think my song will be ready. :D

Thanks RAMI. That's a real nice post. I'm glad you got where I was coming from. :) That said, I know where kcearl is coming from too. I understand how and why things work the way they do...I'm just not sure if that's the way they should.

-Adam.

Last edited:
Hey Propman,

I completely understand the angst of presenting stuff and getting an underwhelming response. :)

Generally I only have time to come here every now and again, and it's usually after I have had a few beers, and it takes a while to listen to stuff properly, let alone write about it. I usually just pick a few songs off the top of the "MP3 Mixing Clinic" board, so the quality of the work has little bearing on whether I comment.

“Re-mixing” isn’t really my thing, but for what it’s worth... I like the softer pads you are using, but I'm not sure they scream DEVO... I would keep them for an early contrast and reference the original for the “electing selecting...” section and go completely jungle on the eni-meni-mini-mo (Toms or bongos or timpani or whatever gives the biggest simple slam dance trance). If you can do multiple entries, do one to your own taste, and another of your impression of DEVO.

Anyway, wearing your arse on your sleeve sounds like good advice, so thanks for that... and great advice about the alternate alias kcearl (to bump yourself). I won’t have anything to present for a while, but I find it helps my head-space to listen to others going through the same process (and apply my own advice back to myself)... all good :D

Last edited:
Hey Propman,

I completely understand the angst of presenting stuff and getting an underwhelming response. :)

Generally I only have time to come here every now and again, and it's usually after I have had a few beers, and it takes a while to listen to stuff properly, let alone write about it. I usually just pick a few songs off the top of the "MP3 Mixing Clinic" board, so the quality of the work has little bearing on whether I comment.

“Re-mixing” isn’t really my thing, but for what it’s worth... I like the softer pads you are using, but I'm not sure they scream DEVO... I would keep them for an early contrast and reference the original for the “electing selecting...” section and go completely jungle on the eni-meni-mini-mo (Toms or bongos or timpani or whatever gives the biggest simple slam dance trance). If you can do multiple entries, do one to your own taste, and another of your impression of DEVO.

Anyway, wearing your arse on your sleeve sounds like good advice, so thanks for that... and great advice about the alternate alias kcearl (to bump yourself). I won’t have anything to present for a while, but I find it helps my head-space to listen to others going through the same process (and apply my own advice back to myself)... all good :D

The submission phase is over so an alternate mix is more or less out of the question. Your advise is solid but it seems to make more sense to deviate from the Devo norm if you will. They seem like a very experemental band who would be more likely to gravitate toward something different. Anywho, thanks again and I appreciate your comments.

-Adam.

Sounds good BUT it sounds too smooth to be the DEVO I love. I like their angularity & contrariness era (1st 2 albums & live EP).
It's a very contemporary mix Adam.

Sounds good BUT it sounds too smooth to be the DEVO I love. I like their angularity & contrariness era (1st 2 albums & live EP).
It's a very contemporary mix Adam.
Yeah, I wasn't going for the Devo sound too much. On that note though, don't discount their 3rd album which is also fantastic. Like I mentioned, "The Day My Baby Gave Me A Supprise" is a really gritty and fantastic song in my opinion along with the rest of the album's offerings. Then again, I pretty every one of their albums. Thanks rayc!

-Adam.

Back