i'm going to be playing on my bed and need advice

cantthinkofname

my studio will be in my bedroom and most of the room will be taken up by my bed. sounds like a dumb question but seriously will it make that much of a difference? i don't think it will, but who knows maybe an expert here will tell me that it may entirely kill the sound? thx in advance

my studio will be in my bedroom and most of the room will be taken up by my bed. sounds like a dumb question but seriously will it make that much of a difference? i don't think it will, but who knows maybe an expert here will tell me that it may entirely kill the sound? thx in advance

seems to me the mattress could provide a little acoustic absorption but other than it taking up a bunch of space it should be no big deal. Just pretend it's a couch like a bunch of other studios have :cool:

The bed will be an acoustic advantage.

seems to me the mattress could provide a little acoustic absorption but other than it taking up a bunch of space it should be no big deal. Just pretend it's a couch like a bunch of other studios have :cool:

that's what i was worried about, i thought it would really absorb everything because its going to take up most of the room, especially being much larger than a couch & being almost 1/2 the height of the room also. maybe it'll be ok, if not maybe my daw etc will be able to help straighten it out. thanks

What are you going to be recording?

I do all my recording in my bedroom now :) I have a strange bunch of friends who generally get cosy in the bed together whilst they're not needed... as said, its like having a sofa in a studio, but better :p People can be lazing around whilst being productive.

What are you going to be recording?

I do all my recording in my bedroom now :) I have a strange bunch of friends who generally get cosy in the bed together whilst they're not needed... as said, its like having a sofa in a studio, but better :p People can be lazing around whilst being productive.

but don't you get some interesting background noise lol. well you seem to be happy with your sound, maybe it should be ok.

Because like I said, It will provide a little acoustic absorption and like mattr said, it will provide a squishy place to park your ass :D

i was thinking it would provide way more than a little aborbtion, more like toooo much. i don't mind the squishy place to park my ass tho, that is fine:):D

but don't you get some interesting background noise lol. well you seem to be happy with your sound, maybe it should be ok.

Well, I personally don't think I do too badly from the bedroom, but you can judge that for yourself :) This is my most recent post in the MP3 clinic...
https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=297604

(grr, still haven't uploaded the higher quality MP3... sorry about the 96kbps one :o)

EDIT: Thought I should add that the gang vox near the end of that song were done with everyone tucked up in bed, looool.

Try to use a comforter or bed spread that is made of a loose, light weight weave. Lower down material concentration is important, too. Think of the bed as a huge bass trap. It needs to be able to "breath."

Try to keep pillows upright and aimed at 45 degree anlges from corners. Make sure electric blankets (if used) are unplugged so they don't transmit electrical interference.

i was thinking it would provide way more than a little aborbtion, more like toooo much. i don't mind the squishy place to park my ass tho, that is fine:):D

I'd try to answer you but I'm not gonna pretend like I know anything about acoustics. maybe you could try asking in the studio building forum?

but if I were you and that were my only choice I would just set the mattress upright and not worry about it. Maybe stick it up right into a corner or get somewhat close and aim your vocals at it

Try to use a comforter or bed spread that is made of a loose, light weight weave. Lower down material concentration is important, too. Think of the bed as a huge bass trap. It needs to be able to "breath."

Try to keep pillows upright and aimed at 45 degree anlges from corners. Make sure electric blankets (if used) are unplugged so they don't transmit electrical interference.

thanks for the advice grippy, i can't wait to test it out and see what kind of difference the stuff in my room makes. i guess i get too anxious and want to know ahead of time, just trying to save myself some trouble i guess:) thanks again

I'd try to answer you but I'm not gonna pretend like I know anything about acoustics. maybe you could try asking in the studio building forum?

but if I were you and that were my only choice I would just set the mattress upright and not worry about it. Maybe stick it up right into a corner or get somewhat close and aim your vocals at it

i think you know more than i do so far, it seems like your always 2 or 3 maybe even 4 steps ahead of me with everything, so i appreciate your advice. i was going to ask in the studio forum but thought it was too dumb a question to post there. so far it seems people think it would make a good bass trap (so if its true that's great:)) maybe more people should record in their bedrooms?

Well, I personally don't think I do too badly from the bedroom, but you can judge that for yourself :) This is my most recent post in the MP3 clinic...
https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=297604

(grr, still haven't uploaded the higher quality MP3... sorry about the 96kbps one :o)

EDIT: Thought I should add that the gang vox near the end of that song were done with everyone tucked up in bed, looool.

wow that's really good! especially while everyone is tucked in bed looool. i was worried what the gang vox would actually be when you said that:eek::laughings: phew lol

really good song, thank you:)

If you could get bunk beds you would have twice the absorbtion..

But then she might suffer from bunk funk :eek:

i was going to ask in the studio forum but thought it was too dumb a question to post there.

Look, compared to all the next biznitchin gangsta's who need to soundproof they studio you're gonna seem like a genius.

Back