I'm getting YSM-1's

synergy

I have decided on the YSM-1's. Only problem is I have only this Kenwood amp(kr-56r) from 1987 that only puts out 50 watts per channel stereo. The YSM's are 70 watt. I know this is not optimal, but I haven't a clue about electronics so will this be even acceptable? Keep in mind I am dealing with a low budget situation.

just a reminder that studio monitors are made to sound flat and not necessarily good..im not saying that they will sound bad, because they wont....they just dont have those high and low end bumps like stereo speakers....

studio monitors are a tool that help you get good mixes that will sound good on a wide variety of speakers......

i understand, that's what i'll be using them for primarily: mixing my music. I was just questioning my reciever's lack of wattage to power the ysm's.

It should be no problem. I'm using a JVC receiver with I think 50 watts a side (though I could be wrong) to power Tannoy Reveals, which are rated for 100 watts each, and I've had no problems.

I love the sound of my Reveals compared to the Bose speakers + MTX sub I was using before, BTW. I was afraid I'd find a sound with so much more in the midrange to be unpleasant, but it's really nice to be able to hear all that stuff. It just sounds good. So you may well love the sound of your YSM-1s.

My YSM-1's are out there on a UPS truck somewhere too. Can't wait.

Nothing wrong with those big old recievers other than the tendancy to want to change the settings from flat and get that fat sound. Leave it flat and you'll get a good mix. And there's a radio to boot. How good does it get?

philboyd studge said:
My YSM-1's are out there on a UPS truck somewhere too. Can't wait.

Im in that same boat...Im waiting to get my tracking number from the sales staff at musiciansbuy.com....They said I would get the number as soon as they shipped...I ordered them last thursday....I hate having that feeling of....oops they screwed up and it will be 6 weeks of chaos to get them to my door... I got the YSM-1i's.....I despise the wating of any major purchase...

Peace,
Dennis

Back